ASUS EP121 ... sound not working

Question

• I have drivers (both from ASUS and MSFT).  Both show up in DevMgr, no bangs.  Sounds seem to be playing in apps, and can see it in volume icon when brought up from taskbar in classic desktop.

No amt of uninstalling or removing and reinstalling helps.  Still see the Realtek HD driver and MSFT driver non-bang'd.

Any ideas?  Did DXDiag and didnt see any issues, all services are running as well.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:36 PM

Answers

• Is the sound device disabled?
    A. Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar
    B. Select "Playback Devices"
    C. In the white empty space right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
    D. Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now? 
    E. If you now see it you may need to right click on the correct sound device and select "Set as default device"

Low Volume (or no volume):

There are many different places to adjust the sound. Are all of these turned up?

1. On the speakers, or if you have a laptop there might be a sound adjustment nob somewhere.
    2. On the program you are using to play music/video.
    3. Next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen there is usually a sound icon you can click.
    4. Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar-->Open Mixer--> Adjust System Volume.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:46 PM

All replies

• Is the sound device disabled?
    A. Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar
    B. Select "Playback Devices"
    C. In the white empty space right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
    D. Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now? 
    E. If you now see it you may need to right click on the correct sound device and select "Set as default device"

Low Volume (or no volume):

There are many different places to adjust the sound. Are all of these turned up?

1. On the speakers, or if you have a laptop there might be a sound adjustment nob somewhere.
    2. On the program you are using to play music/video.
    3. Next to the clock on the bottom right of the screen there is usually a sound icon you can click.
    4. Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar-->Open Mixer--> Adjust System Volume.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I have icons for my speakers, can click TEST and see audio moving the graph.

I have the sound cranked on all available transports.

- Volume rocker on outside shows UI volume at max

- Taskbar volume also shows audio moving, is at 100%

- Programs for music also show volume at 100%

I have 64bit WDP installed, other people I know have the same device and sound is working.  Could be broken speakers too.  May try reloading OS .... *sigh*

Thanks for the replies, all SW seems to be configured properly ... at this point it feels like a HW issue or deep driver/reg problem.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:34 PM