usabilty with resistive (non-multitouch) displays? work-arounds?

General discussion

• Hi everybody, I have installed the developer preview on a hp tx2000, the laptop with the screen that flips over to turn the computer into a tablet. Generally the experience is really good, and very smooth, especially considering this is an older machine. Almost everything can be done using the touch and its all very responsive! I do think it would be wise to have some simple work-arounds for single touch displays, for example a optional zoom button that emulated a pinch hardware input and as such would be usable across alot of different apps. I also want to mention the app scaling or tiling feature that you cant use unless you have a 1300 pixel wide screen, there are alot of 12" laptops that have a 1280 resolution, perhaps it should be possible to override the scaling screen limit? Its a great feature, seems a shame to remove it, although I can appreciate the logic in not having it on ten inch displays. Is anyone else using a resistive display or an older machine?

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• I installed this on a Viliv S5 UMPC, and considering the machine's age and limited specs, it's great. A few hiccups, mostly related to the unusual Viliv drivers, but nothing critical ... except two points. I want to get the Text Input Panel up, and can't; and I want to get the onscreen keyboard up, and can't. Any ideas on these? The more urgent issue is the TIP panel. Microsoft should definitely consider full implementation of the touchscreen features for resistive screens - there must be many, many resistive PCs around. Please email any answers to pstjmack@paulstjohnmackintosh.com
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I don't know if you are having the keyboard pop up difficulty in the desktop view but there is a logo for the keyboard to pop up on the task bar in the notifications area. It seems quite unusual that the keyboard is not appearing in the metro UI, did it stop working after you installed the graphics drivers? I noticed that the system was initially more buggy when i installed the graphics drivers, but it seems to have improved, perhaps there has been an update. But maybe I am fortunate as the TX2000 i am using is very similar to the TX2 which was used as a test machine.

I too would like to see workarounds for resistive screens, I think the simplest method would be to emulate a second finger, a small opaque box could pop up on screen allowing you to define a touch as being finger one or two, when you place the touch it would represent it on the screen and hold the emulated finger there. Either that or too literally emulate the input of a pinch gesture. It might be something that a third party could develop though.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:08 PM
  • The graphics drivers didn't seem to make much difference - same before and after. Occasionally the keyboard pops up when I log out and log back in again, but it imme.diately disappears. In any case, it's the TIP Panel I need to access most urgently
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:08 AM