Setting up environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm really newby in Sharepoint development. Since few weeks ago I have to maintain a simple Sharepoint Application that was developped by another company. This company has provided the application source code and a backup file (.bak).

What must I do to set up a development Environment and restore the provided backup? I've tried several thinks with no success.

Thanks in advance

Daní

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:00 AM

Answers

• You can find a nice manual to setup a dev machine on the Critical Path site (to download it (memberships are free though). Or you can use the MSDN manual.

Some info about the restore operation can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288929(v=office.12).aspx. However I suggest you read into SharePoint a bit first.

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:20 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Hi Daní,

First, you must have the SharePoint environment. the environment from which the .bak file is created & your SharePoint environment must have the same version.

Now, depending on the .bak file (what it contains as backup for e.g, Web Application, Site Collection, etc) you must create the same level of hierarchy onto your SharePoint server.

Next, Restore the .bak file to your environment.

Thanks,

Kunal Govani | MCTS, SharePoint 2010
    If the post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:01 AM

All replies

• You can find a nice manual to setup a dev machine on the Critical Path site (to download it (memberships are free though). Or you can use the MSDN manual.

Some info about the restore operation can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288929(v=office.12).aspx. However I suggest you read into SharePoint a bit first.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Hi Daní,

First, you must have the SharePoint environment. the environment from which the .bak file is created & your SharePoint environment must have the same version.

Now, depending on the .bak file (what it contains as backup for e.g, Web Application, Site Collection, etc) you must create the same level of hierarchy onto your SharePoint server.

Next, Restore the .bak file to your environment.

Thanks,

Kunal Govani | MCTS, SharePoint 2010
    If the post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:01 AM