none
Error creating new project

Question

• My very first trial of creating an Android project (Templates/Visual C#/Android/Blank App (Android) throws an error message (the most informative one in the universe) immediately when pushing the OK button (for creating project):
    "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    Nothing get created (except the solution and project folders, both empty).

What do I do (or what do I not do correct ?) ?

Other templates like good old WPF app works smooth.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this is Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 3
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:11 PM

Answers

• I have now cleanly re-installed windows and VS2015 (+ some other programs like office and SQL Server 2014 Management tools).

After struggling with Vs2015 installation (refused to install, no hints of why, no log etc.) I uninstalled .net 3.5 (which was a requirement to install SQL Server management tools), after this all went smooth and Android app works like a charm.

Before this I had tried to install the Andy emulator and I think this was a reason for my problems. An uninstall and reinstall of VS2015 didn't helt, only clean windows install and all other helped.

Problem solved.

• Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Thursday, August 04, 2016 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by EuroEager Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2016 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi EuroEager,

>>My very first trial of creating an Android project (Templates/Visual C#/Android/Blank App (Android) throws an error message

Please running your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

Also restore the settings in your Visual Studio(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset all Settings)

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update3. And I can create the Android project succeesfully.

From your description. It throws the error message even you create a new Android project. I think there might be something wrong with the Andorid Project template.

You could try to restore the template in your VS2015 then try it again.

1. Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE)
    2. In the command prompt, navigate to the location of devenv.exe. This file is located in <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE.
    3. Type "devenv /installvstemplates" and press Enter.

If still no help. There might be something wrong with your Visual Studio. Try to repair it then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 2:39 AM
  • I have now cleanly re-installed windows and VS2015 (+ some other programs like office and SQL Server 2014 Management tools).

After struggling with Vs2015 installation (refused to install, no hints of why, no log etc.) I uninstalled .net 3.5 (which was a requirement to install SQL Server management tools), after this all went smooth and Android app works like a charm.

Before this I had tried to install the Andy emulator and I think this was a reason for my problems. An uninstall and reinstall of VS2015 didn't helt, only clean windows install and all other helped.

Problem solved.

• Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Thursday, August 04, 2016 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by EuroEager Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Hi EuroEager,

Glad to hear you have solved your problem and thanks for sharing the solution here. Since you issue was solved. If possible,  please mark your reply as the answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, August 04, 2016 1:11 AM