As C++ developer what technical advantages are there developing in C++ over .NET or JavaScript, apart from the language itself?

All replies

• - Lower Memory Footprint (no CLR involved - no boilerplate)

- Better performance (compile-time optimization, inlining, no overhead for COM access, etc.)

- Lower Battery consumption (due to above mentioned)

- Access to good Libs like DirectX, WIC, MediaFoundation - if you want to do more than a databound list ;)

I would even go futher and say that for mobile computing, where performance & battery life is very important, native is still king.

peace :)

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:02 PM
  • If you are doing 3D Games then you should go C++/DirectX.  Everything else should be C#/Javascript. I think you need to be able to do both these days to stay competitive. Just my opinion.

www.puttnutz.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Minor correction: "Everything else eventually can be C#/Javascript."

:-)

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:58 AM
  • So ... in general use (for Windows Store and Windows Phone 8 apps), where usually rapid development involved on big project and we only use XAML for layouting, which one is better between C++ and C#? I'm thinking of using C++ but AFAIK, C++ developers must handle the memory management themselves (since no CLR involved like you said earlier) which might slowdown the development speed. I need enlightenment here :)

oh .. and what about obfuscation? Does C# based project still delivered as such (means the store pushing CLR based codes to users which means developers need to obfuscate their works) or the store will recompile them to native one?

*to be or not to be*

Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:31 AM
  • The huge issue with Win8 and WinPhone8 (WP8) C++ development is that you can't access XAML from C++ in WP8. Your C++ code has to be made into a component and all XAML access performed with C#. This split is what caused me to abandon my Direct3D+XAML C++ Metro app (there were other issues but that was the final straw). Maybe things will get better when the mythical "Windows Blue" is released next year.

I don't know what's going on in Redmond but it doesn't look like they understand that they're in a war right now ... and are losing badly.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:14 PM