Windows 8 apps won't work even though my resolution is 1280x1024

Question

• They just sit there and don't load. The only answers I've seen to the problem is to up my resolution to something greater than 1024x768... but my resolution is way higher than that (1280x1024). Why aren't they working and how do I get them to work?
    • Edited by venenog Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:28 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hey Arrow22,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:26 PM

All replies

• You might find that the unusual asoect ratio is the issue. 1280 x 1024 works out at a 5:4 aspect ratio, which is unusual. If I understood correctly, for a full Metro experience you need a wide-screen resolution with a minimum of 1366 x 768 (16:9), or a minimum of 1024 x 7868 for full screen apps without the side-by-side "snap" feature ... but 1024 x 768 is a 4:3 ratio, yours is 5:4. Just a thought ... not sure if it's correct though!
    Steve Ives
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Sadly thats not the answer, as I've tried 1024x768 and 1280x768. I tried it in every resolution I had (including 16 by 10) and it didn't work. The interesting thing is, is when I tried it in the 2 resolutions I have that are according to Microsoft "too small" the apps did nothing when I clicked on them. When I was in the larger res, however, it opened up and sat there looking like this http://i.imgur.com/cAWAA.png until I told it to go back to start menu.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:43 PM
  • I think that there is/are another reason(s) why wouldn't the app open besides the resolution.

My laptop's resolution is 1366x768 and yet the apps doesn't work.

As far as I remembered, before I encountered this problem, I installed my USB internet modem driver/software.

And right after that, it doesn't work anymore.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:54 AM
  • I had this issue, and I think it may be related to using a LIVE account for your Windows 8 logon.

Create a new user, clicking on "more logon options" to create a local account, and see if that works.

It worked for a while, but then everything collapsed and I did a clean reinstall of Windows 8, only creating a local account.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Hey Venenog,

Additionally you can try refreshing Windows Developer Preview. Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General on the left column
    • Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    • Proposed as answer by Dylan-Meeus Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:14 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Metro apps stop working for me as well when connected to an HDTV at 720p (as well as some odd behaviour on the start screen). Metro does not seem to play nicely with resolutions for which it wasn't designed for. Hopefully this is something that is addressed later on.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Hey Arrow22,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:26 PM
  • It is related to using a LIVE ACCOUNT FOR THE WINDOWS 8 LOGON, I also did a clean reinstall of Windows 8 doing the same thing and everything except for Socailite works fine, using my live account, apps wouldnt open, the computer would freeze, just error message after error message, my computer is way past the minimum requirements to run this operating system as well. I did a fresh install and used a local account instead it works perfect!
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 6:55 AM