none
Polylines are too generalized RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Bing API Developers, 

I am giving a try to your Routes API and I notice that the polylines (route lines as collections of coordinates) produce routes that are a bit too generalized (have low resolution). When plotted against Bing maps, they often do not follow the outlined streets and roads, but rather cross over the road lines to in-between-the-roads space. This could be observed in the general Bing Maps website. As a developer, is there a way for me to control the precision of the routes returned by your API to make them more detailed (perhaps via a url parameter)? 

Thank you in advance for your time,

Sincerely, 

Leo

Friday, May 20, 2016 8:06 AM

Answers

• Ok, this is to be expected. The service does reduce the resolution of the route line so as to keep the response from getting too big. This is also done to prevent people from extracting the road geometry data. There is no option to return a higher resolution road. What type of application are you creating?

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, May 23, 2016 11:22 PM

All replies

• Can you provide a start/end route and a screen shot of the issue so that we can clearly see what your issue is.

Friday, May 20, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Thank you so much for your response. I am trying to attach two screen shots, but the website throws an error: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account." Please advise me how I could attach the screen-shots. In the meanwhile, I will attempt to provide additional information:

The route on the first screen-shot could be obtained with origin set to coordinate {28.284285, -81.351307} and destination set to {28.289947, -81.346322}. Notice the plotted route is passing between the roads. The second screen-shot could be obtained with origin set to coordinate {28.426874, -81.400091} and destination set to {28.433273, -81.403697}. Notice that at one fragment in the middle, the route passes closer to the oncoming traffic lane than the lane of the correct direction. While I selected these for a demonstration of the issue, these are not isolated cases; any route plotted in Bing maps contains this issue (with varying degrees) when zoomed into. This is obviously due to the fact that the API returns a fraction of all the possible polyline points to be plotted as the route for the trip, selected with a larger tolerance value. My question thus is - is there a way for your API to return the complete (detailed) polyline so that it fully aligns with the roads featured on Bing maps?

Thanks so much for your input,

Leo

Sunday, May 22, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Ok, this is to be expected. The service does reduce the resolution of the route line so as to keep the response from getting too big. This is also done to prevent people from extracting the road geometry data. There is no option to return a higher resolution road. What type of application are you creating?

Monday, May 23, 2016 11:22 PM