Problems with making my app dpiaware

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to make my app dpiaware as described in "DPI and Device-Independent Pixels":

"...
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" >
      <asmv3:application>
        <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="???????????????">
          <dpiAware>true</dpiAware>
        </asmv3:windowsSettings>
      </asmv3:application>
    </assembly>

The listing shown here is only a partial manifest, but the Visual Studio linker generates the rest of the manifest for you automatically. To include a partial manifest in your project, perform the following steps in Visual Studio.
    1.On the Project menu, click Property.
    2.In the left pane, expand Configuration Properties, expand Manifest Tool, and then click Input and Output.
    3.In the Additional Manifest Files text box, type the name of the manifest file, and then click OK.

..."

Unfortunately when I enter the properties of the Project Menu, I see there is no "Manifest tool" available.

Second, I tried the app property page, but still no "manifest tool".

Does anybody know, where I took a wrong turn? I would have included screenshots, but i was not allowed to do so.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Marco

Sunday, May 25, 2014 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Marco,

I'll move this to a more appropriate forum for you. The UI Design for Windows Store apps forum is specifically for design issues. Questions about implementation should be posted to the relevant language forum.

The DPI Aware settings that you are referring to are for desktop apps only. Windows Store apps are always DPI aware and never have their DPI virtualized like legacy desktop apps are.

Apps should always draw larger or smaller in accordance with the DPI settings. Otherwise text can easily become unreadable and buttons and such unreachable. It's very frustrating to users when the target point for a button is too small and too close to its neighbors.

The  Scaling to pixel density documentation Jamles mentioned is a good starting point for this. If you need guidance for a more specific scenario then please let us know.

--Rob

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:21 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Marco,

Are you programming for Desktop applications or for Windows Store App? The documentation you mentioned is only for Desktop Application but not for Windows Store App if my understanding is correct:DPI and Device-Independent Pixels.

I would recommend you to take a look at this one: Scaling to pixel density if your are working with Windows Store App.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, May 26, 2014 6:52 AM
  • Hi James,

thank you for your immediate response. Yes, Im am working on a Windows Store App and I found the Topic mentioned above in the Windows Store Apps Dev Center.

The Link you provided contained a sample app "scaling according to DPI sample" and as far as I understood the code, the programmer has to perfom a scaling procedure to every Ui control. With the <dpiAware>true</dpiAware> command I hope to prevent Windows from automatic scaling in the first place.

Marco

Monday, May 26, 2014 7:05 PM
  • Hi Marco,

Indeed, I cannot see the setting for C# Windows Store App project, however when I test with a C++ project, I can see the dpi setting.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hi James,

OK, I guess I have to accept the fact that this feature is not available for C# and I will use the Information provided in the link you have posted.

Thank you very much for your effort.

Marco

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:45 PM
  • Hi Marco,

I'll move this to a more appropriate forum for you. The UI Design for Windows Store apps forum is specifically for design issues. Questions about implementation should be posted to the relevant language forum.

The DPI Aware settings that you are referring to are for desktop apps only. Windows Store apps are always DPI aware and never have their DPI virtualized like legacy desktop apps are.

Apps should always draw larger or smaller in accordance with the DPI settings. Otherwise text can easily become unreadable and buttons and such unreachable. It's very frustrating to users when the target point for a button is too small and too close to its neighbors.

The  Scaling to pixel density documentation Jamles mentioned is a good starting point for this. If you need guidance for a more specific scenario then please let us know.

--Rob

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:21 PM
    Owner