none
How do I set up active directory? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to use Active Directory so users can be managed with Windows Authentication and roles. 

Unfortunately, I don't currently have active directory installed. I've seen a lot of posts saying that it is set up by running dcpromo, but it apparently doesn't exist anymore (windows can't find it when I try to run it). 

Due to the lack of discussion of this problem on the web, I almost wonder if I am asking the wrong question.

All I need is to be able to use Active Directory to manage Windows users and assign roles. 

Am I missing something obvious? How do I configure Active Directory? Do I need to install it? 

I'm trying to use it to work with an MVC website. 

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:36 PM

Answers

• You didnot installed AD in any client machines.

The Windows server's only we install the AD for creating a domain for our Organization. For ex Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2 and 2012 Rc.

SO first you install the server os using a fresh machine or VM.

Then you open the Command promt and type dcpromo and hit enter.

So the server diaplyed the AD cretaion wizard and it have some steps.

finally It takes some minits and now created the new AD for that server.

After restart click Start-> AdministrativeTools-> ActiveDirectory Users and computers.

Now u may configured all here..

I hope it will helps to you.

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful"

Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:49 AM

All replies

• Normal protocol in windows is to use the login account setup for each user in "C:\Documents and Settings"  Not Active directory since each user will have read/write permissions in these folders.

AppData = System.Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("AppData");

You can get the complete list of environmental variables by typing "SET" in a DOS window.

jdweng

Friday, July 6, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Active Directory is a core part of Windows Server operating systems only.  This means you need a dedicated PC running Windows Server 2008 R2 (for the Active Directory version matching Windows 7).  You'll find dcpromo in this edition of Windows Server just fine.  Actually, it now has a server configuration tool that makes it easy to add server roles, and dcpromo is just adding the domain controller role.

Anyway, that's how it works:  A Windows Server that is turned into a domain controller, and then member PC's that join the domain.  Once you have that you can reap the benefits of Active Directory.

Jose R. MCP
    Code Samples

Saturday, July 7, 2012 5:26 AM
  • You didnot installed AD in any client machines.

The Windows server's only we install the AD for creating a domain for our Organization. For ex Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2 and 2012 Rc.

SO first you install the server os using a fresh machine or VM.

Then you open the Command promt and type dcpromo and hit enter.

So the server diaplyed the AD cretaion wizard and it have some steps.

finally It takes some minits and now created the new AD for that server.

After restart click Start-> AdministrativeTools-> ActiveDirectory Users and computers.

Now u may configured all here..

I hope it will helps to you.

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful"

Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:49 AM