none
Creating a workflow to create a set of subfolders when a root folder is created

Question

• Hi,

I wonder of anyone can help with a query I have.

I am looking to create a workflow that starts when a create a new root folder in a library. The workflow itself creates a new set of subfolders into this newly created root folder.

I have stated by creating variables for the root folder and the six subfolders. 

The next step I was going to take was to actual create six steps to create each of the six subfolders.

However I have a problem crating the first one because when I try and 'Create New List Item', in the List field I can't reference the root folder variable, just existing libraries and lists.

Is there way to reference the root folder variable so that I can crate the subfolders in there?

I am using SharePoint Designer 2013 with SharePoint 2016.

Many thanks

Frank

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

thinks about DocumentSets with propper structure of folders and subfolders  + needed files inside

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Hi

another way, but you need Visual Studio, is to use EventReceiver

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/198207/developing-event-receivers-in-sharepoint-2016

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:22 PM
  • Hi

check this real example for subfolder, should helps

http://www.getinthesky.com/2012/08/creating-folders-and-sub-folders-using-sharepoint-2010-designer-workflow/

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:26 PM
  • All,

Thanks for the fast responses!

I have used the example at getinthesky.

But I am trying to change it from the workflow initiation being a new list item to it being a new root folder.

For those familiar with this example, I have omitted the Create RootFolder step (as it is manually created) and moved onto the first Create Subfolder item. Its at this point I am stuck.

Also I am not a coder so would prefer to do this with Designer

Thanks again

Frank
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Hi leungf,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

If the problem is resloved, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 24, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Hi Sara,

This isn't resolved yet but thanks for asking.

Best regards

Frank

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:04 PM