none
Unable to publish azure app for Hello Cloud Challenge RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i have VS community 15, azure with dreamspark subscription but i am unable to publish my app to azure.

When i try to publish, it does not allow me to select any publish profiles. i am unable to select or create new web app as shown in the image below.

(images are not allowed)

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, November 2, 2015 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Zag

Here a quick walkthrough of how to

Publish Your Web App

Back in Solution Explorer, right-click on your WebSite solution and click Publish Web App:

This opens a Publish Web window. “Profile” should already be selected on the left. Click Microsoft Azure Web Apps, and then from the next pop-up window click New…

Now it’s time to do some serious Azure stuff. We’re going to name your web app and assign it a bunch of Azure attributes: an App Service plan, a Resource group, and a Region. Here’s the window:

Let’s do a few things:

1. Click in the blank field by Web App name and type a name for your web app. This will be the URL for your website. Whatever you type will be put in front of “.azurewebsites.net”. In my example here, I named my web app “myhellocloud” so my website URL will be myhellocloud.azurewebsites.net. (In fact, you can go look at mine right now if you want.) Since I used “myhellocloud” you’ll need to type something else.
    2. For App Service plan, click the dropdown and select “Create new App Service plan”.
    3. For Resource group, click the dropdown and select “Create new resource group”.
    4. For Region, click the dropdown and select the region closest to you in the world.

Now your window looks like this:

So let’s fill in those two fields! You can name your App Service plan and resource group whatever you want.

What is an App Service plan? It’s just a set of attributes that you can reuse across multiple apps. The attributes include a pricing tier (let’s stick with “Free”!) and a Subscription (if you have multiple Azure subscriptions). The plan you create right now will probably work for all the web apps you build while you’re a student. You can name yours whatever you want. I’ve named mine “myappserviceplan”.

What is a Resource group? It’s just a label that lets you group multiple Azure resources together so it’s easy to select them all at once in the Azure Portal. Pro coders who use Azure might group together a bunch of specific resources so they can view them all at once, monitor them as a group, track the costs and billing for that group, and so on. Since it’s just a label you can name it whatever you want. I’ve named mine “myresourcegroup”.

What is a Region? The dropdown lists every Azure datacenter in the world that you can host your web app in. Each datacenter is a giant warehouse full of computers running Azure resources. So when you select a Region, you’re choosing just where in the world is the computer that your web page will actually live on. That’s kind of cool! Usually you want the one closest to you, but hey, choosing a Region is cheaper than a plane ticket so why not send your web app someplace you always wanted to go? I chose the North Central US because apparently I like the Great Lakes a lot or something.

Here is what my window looks like now:

Let’s click Create and see what happens! Oh, this happens:

After a little while, or maybe a few minutes, the web app is set up and it’s time to actually publish your web page. Here’s the window – all you do is click Publish:

The window goes away. Quick, look at the bottom of your screen! The Output window shows a bunch of mysterious things happening, which are really just the progress of publishing your homepage to the Azure datacenter in the region you selected.

And then whoa – your browser pops open a window and suddenly there’s your homepage, live on the Internet from North Central US! (Or wherever you selected your Region.)

Want to see my site live for real? It’s right here:

http://myhellocloud.azurewebsites.net/

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:50 PM
  • I had to reinstall the windows 8.1 for some reason, after that everything works just fine. Still no idea what the problem was
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

• Can you try to host the image elsewhere? It would help clarify the issue.

thanks,
    David

Monday, November 2, 2015 5:26 PM
  • https ://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1013198258731358&set=p.1013198258731358&type=3

does this help?

in the image, the new button should not be disabled.

P.S. please remove the space from the above link

• Edited by zag11 Monday, November 2, 2015 5:38 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:37 PM
  • Ok, inserting the image here to make it easier. I have asked VS experts to help out.

Monday, November 2, 2015 5:41 PM
  • for the record, i am using vs 15 community, and dreamspark subscription on azure as mentioned in Hello Cloud challenge blog post.

Please post the answer as you get it. Appreciate the help

Regards

Monday, November 2, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Could you verify which version of the Azure SDK you have installed? Go to Help --> About and copy the system information and paste it in. 

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:00 PM
  • Azure sdk 2.7

system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name STEALTH
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP 1000 Notebook PC
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU C8C94PA#UUF
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2395 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.26, 2/21/2013
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 100.34
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Not Available
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"
    User Name Stealth\STEALTH\Zaheer
    Time Zone Pakistan Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 5.90 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.82 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.83 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.30 GB
    Page File Space 960 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:05 PM
  • Hi Zag

Here a quick walkthrough of how to

Publish Your Web App

Back in Solution Explorer, right-click on your WebSite solution and click Publish Web App:

This opens a Publish Web window. “Profile” should already be selected on the left. Click Microsoft Azure Web Apps, and then from the next pop-up window click New…

Now it’s time to do some serious Azure stuff. We’re going to name your web app and assign it a bunch of Azure attributes: an App Service plan, a Resource group, and a Region. Here’s the window:

Let’s do a few things:

1. Click in the blank field by Web App name and type a name for your web app. This will be the URL for your website. Whatever you type will be put in front of “.azurewebsites.net”. In my example here, I named my web app “myhellocloud” so my website URL will be myhellocloud.azurewebsites.net. (In fact, you can go look at mine right now if you want.) Since I used “myhellocloud” you’ll need to type something else.
    2. For App Service plan, click the dropdown and select “Create new App Service plan”.
    3. For Resource group, click the dropdown and select “Create new resource group”.
    4. For Region, click the dropdown and select the region closest to you in the world.

Now your window looks like this:

So let’s fill in those two fields! You can name your App Service plan and resource group whatever you want.

What is an App Service plan? It’s just a set of attributes that you can reuse across multiple apps. The attributes include a pricing tier (let’s stick with “Free”!) and a Subscription (if you have multiple Azure subscriptions). The plan you create right now will probably work for all the web apps you build while you’re a student. You can name yours whatever you want. I’ve named mine “myappserviceplan”.

What is a Resource group? It’s just a label that lets you group multiple Azure resources together so it’s easy to select them all at once in the Azure Portal. Pro coders who use Azure might group together a bunch of specific resources so they can view them all at once, monitor them as a group, track the costs and billing for that group, and so on. Since it’s just a label you can name it whatever you want. I’ve named mine “myresourcegroup”.

What is a Region? The dropdown lists every Azure datacenter in the world that you can host your web app in. Each datacenter is a giant warehouse full of computers running Azure resources. So when you select a Region, you’re choosing just where in the world is the computer that your web page will actually live on. That’s kind of cool! Usually you want the one closest to you, but hey, choosing a Region is cheaper than a plane ticket so why not send your web app someplace you always wanted to go? I chose the North Central US because apparently I like the Great Lakes a lot or something.

Here is what my window looks like now:

Let’s click Create and see what happens! Oh, this happens:

After a little while, or maybe a few minutes, the web app is set up and it’s time to actually publish your web page. Here’s the window – all you do is click Publish:

The window goes away. Quick, look at the bottom of your screen! The Output window shows a bunch of mysterious things happening, which are really just the progress of publishing your homepage to the Azure datacenter in the region you selected.

And then whoa – your browser pops open a window and suddenly there’s your homepage, live on the Internet from North Central US! (Or wherever you selected your Region.)

Want to see my site live for real? It’s right here:

http://myhellocloud.azurewebsites.net/

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:50 PM
  • I am also having the same problem :( . Let me know if you could find the solution
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:17 PM
  • I had to reinstall the windows 8.1 for some reason, after that everything works just fine. Still no idea what the problem was
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Zag11

Glad the problem was resolved!

Monday, November 30, 2015 10:27 AM