locked
Changing server running Azure AD Connect - Compare report is listing all mydomain.com attributes changing to mydomain.onmicrosoft.com RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am retiring an old server and setting up the Azure AD Connect on a new 2019 Server. I have been running Azure AD Connect for a couple of years, after upgrading from DirSync. 

    I set up the initial config on the new server and have it on staging mode. As suggested, I ran the AADConnectConfigDocumenter to compare the changes. All instances that list our verified domain mydomain.com - AAD are listed as being replaced by mydomain.onmicrosoft.com - AAD.

    I can not see anywhere to have it retain the original value.

    Thanks for any help,

    Tony

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 7:21 PM

Answers

  • The comparison report I ran after putting it in to staging mode listed everything being changed to mydomain.onmicrosoft.com - AAD. I was not sure if that would have any effect on operation but did not want to take a chance.

    I was able to get it all matching by running the "Synchronization Service Manager" and going to the Connectors tab and renaming the connector for the "Windows Azure Active Directory (Microsoft)" to mydomain.com - AAD. After doing so, and exporting the XML settings again and running the AzureADConnectSyncDocumenter everything matched up.

    I switched the old server in to staging mode, and the new one out, and everything synced fine.

    Thanks,

    Tony

    • Marked as answer by Tony MN Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:47 PM

All replies

  • Have you maybe missed a step in the on premises setup?

    The issue is might be caused by the on-premises alias domain transfer process. So, when the issue occurs, we need to set the on-premises proxyAddress attribute.

    Go to Advanced Features > user properties > Attribute Editor > Proxy Address to add the right configurations.

    Does this issue look related or are you referring to other attribute changes?

    Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:47 PM
    Owner
  • All instances that list our verified domain mydomain.com - AAD are listed as being replaced by mydomain.onmicrosoft.com - AAD.

    Hi Tony,

    In recent versions the name of the Azure AD connector to be created has changed. This is why you're seeing these changes in the configuration.

    After you perform the initial synchronization on the new Windows Server 2019-based Azure AD Connect installation (in Staging Mode), you'll see that the attributes for the objects in scope for Azure AD Connect have no changed attributes on the Azure AD side, because of this.

              
    Friday, June 7, 2019 4:53 AM
  • The comparison report I ran after putting it in to staging mode listed everything being changed to mydomain.onmicrosoft.com - AAD. I was not sure if that would have any effect on operation but did not want to take a chance.

    I was able to get it all matching by running the "Synchronization Service Manager" and going to the Connectors tab and renaming the connector for the "Windows Azure Active Directory (Microsoft)" to mydomain.com - AAD. After doing so, and exporting the XML settings again and running the AzureADConnectSyncDocumenter everything matched up.

    I switched the old server in to staging mode, and the new one out, and everything synced fine.

    Thanks,

    Tony

    • Marked as answer by Tony MN Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:47 PM
  • Hi Marilee,

    I had already changed the proxy address back when we first moved from an on premise exchange to office 365 with dirsync.

    Thanks,

    Tony

    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 7:00 PM