none
Uninstall 1.1 to Install 3.5? RRS feed

• Question

• On my 2001-era 1.20 GHz, 512 Mb RAM PC using XP Home Edition, v. 2002, service pack 3,   I have .NET Framework 1.1, .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (185 mb), .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 (179 mb), and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (28.05 mb). I am desperate to free up space on my hard drive. May I safely uninstall all the foregoing from my C drive (almost full), and download and install .NET Framework 3.5 (Bootstrapper) to my D drive (28 GB free), and will that save me any hard drive space? I do no programming and would be glad to entirely remove .NET Framework unless its needed to run various programs.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Dontwanttobehere,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

Referring to removal of any versions of the .NET Framework on XP machine, it depends on the applications that are run on your PC.

If we have some application based on any .NET Framework on your PC, you cannot remove the specific .NET Framework because we need it to support the application.
    Moreover, if you have some application based on .NET Framework 3.5 on your PC, you cannot remove .NET Framework 2.0, .NET Framework 3.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 because .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5. This means that the three .NET Frameworks cannot be removed.

If you want to remove .NET Framework, you can use Cleanup Tool to remove it.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:07 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:24 AM