copy project for another pc RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i have a new Laptop :-) now, i would like to copy my developed apps from one to the other, but in that way, that i can open them in visual Studio express 2012 on the new Laptop again and continue to work. copying with usb-stick doesn't work...

can anybody help me, please?

and sorry for my english, i am german...

thanks a lot and have a nice time,

nicole

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:38 PM

Answers

• Your project should be found at C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects

Just copy them with a USB stick and you should be fine.

Sincerely, Jakeinc

• Marked as answer by nicoleHM Monday, November 18, 2013 10:52 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Hello Nicole

It is unfortunate, but you cannot do this. I do not know too much about Windows Phone development, but you are probably able to recycle some of the code from your windows but there is not direct way to transfer your Windows Store App to the Windows Phone. For Windows Phone development I would recommend Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone. I hope this helps, if you have anymore questions please ask. (Also, if a response helps you, you may want to vote it as helpful, and when you feel that your question is answered you can mark it as the answer to help other developers with the same problem.)

Sincerely, Jakeinc

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:12 PM

All replies

• Your project should be found at C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects

Just copy them with a USB stick and you should be fine.

Sincerely, Jakeinc

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:44 PM
  • You should be able to just copy the whole solution directory. You can delete the object files, but that shouldn't be necessary.

In what way is it not working for you?

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Monday, November 18, 2013 9:08 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 7:47 PM
  • hello jakeinc,

thank you very much! now it works!

first time i just drag it to the usb-stick and there were just to curios files...

now i did it with copy and paste and now it works fine :-)

another question, if ist ok: is there any possibility to Transfer a Windows store app for Windows phone? or do i have to develop the phone app seperatly...

but first, thank you and have a good time,

nicole

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:05 PM
  • hello rob, thank you! the solution of jake works :-)

but thank you for your friendly help!

best wishes and have a good time, nicole

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Hello Nicole

It is unfortunate, but you cannot do this. I do not know too much about Windows Phone development, but you are probably able to recycle some of the code from your windows but there is not direct way to transfer your Windows Store App to the Windows Phone. For Windows Phone development I would recommend Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone. I hope this helps, if you have anymore questions please ask. (Also, if a response helps you, you may want to vote it as helpful, and when you feel that your question is answered you can mark it as the answer to help other developers with the same problem.)

Sincerely, Jakeinc

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:12 PM
  • hello jake,

it helps :-)

i have downloaded Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone, and ist possible to develop in c# too, so i think, i can copy some of the code.

sorry, that i did vote, i am new here, but now i did it and marked it also :-)

thank you once again for friendly help!

have a good time,

nicole

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:52 PM
  • Hi Nicole,

See Resources for Windows Phone developers for strategies on sharing code between your Windows Phone and Windows Store apps.

Monday, November 18, 2013 11:32 PM