none
How do create 64-bit image with ICE? RRS feed

• Question

• Since I couldn't find a setting for that: how do I decide if an answer-file ends up to be an x64 or x86 image?
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:00 PM

All replies

• If you read the content of the answer file, you'll see a servicing section like this:

<servicing>
            <package action="configure">
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-EmbeddedEdition" version="6.1.7601.17514" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" />
                <ew:packageInfo releaseType="Product" customInfoVersion="1.0" />
            </package>
        </servicing>
        <ew:answerFileInfo distributionSharePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Embedded Standard 7\DSSP1" footprint="576716800" ecoreFootprint="576716800" />

The processorArchitecture element would tell you what the architecture is.

Ivan

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:09 PM
  • So if I want the image to work on a 64-bit system all I need to do is edit that element to say "x64"? That would be almost too easy...
    Friday, April 22, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I still couldn't get this to work (trying to build an Intel x64 image with ICE). Maybe those 64-bit files are missing on my installation of ICE? Do you have to manually select them during the installation process? I can only remember coming across the option to install "x86" and "amd64" - just no mention of the Intel 64 architecture...
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:41 PM
  • You first select the distirbution share in ICE - either DSSP1 for x86 or DS64SP1 for (amd64/x86). Build the answer file based on the open distirbution share.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:13 PM
  • You can not make the answer-file to install an 64-bit image simply by edit above element. Since the installation will be failed if you use that Answer-file.

No need any settings during you create answer-file. In order to make it end up to be X86 or AMD64 image, you just need to select X86 or AMD64 DS at the beginning of create answer-file.

If the answer-file is already exist, you just can not tell if it for X86 or AMD64. You need to follow Ivan's solution. Open the answer-file and find the element. Then you will know this answer-file is for which architecture and using right build to install it.  And how to install image using answer-file is out of this question.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:02 AM