none
Arduino + Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've been learning to use Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio, for sometime now, and I was wondering about the possibility of communicating with an arduino from RDS, if it's possible to upload programs directly, or at least send/receive values?

Thank you very much
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:47 PM

Answers

• You can't really write DSS services in C. At best you would have to use managed C++ because RDS is based on .NET. In any case, the recommended language is C#. Perhaps you should try learning C#, it's not that hard.

Of course you would write the Arduino end in C.

Another alternative is to use a Netduino which is compatible with Arduino shields and runs the .NET Micro Framework. Then you can actually program the Netduino using C# as well (with Visual Studio). I have been playing around with a Netduino Plus which has en Ethernet port on-board. That allows you to communicate using TCP/IP. I don't have anything written yet that is worth releasing and it is a part-time project so don't hold your breath waiting for me :-)

Trevor

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:12 AM

All replies

• RDS cannot generate code for an Arduino. You will have to write some code for the Arduino and then write a service under RDS that communicates with the Arduino. This will probably be via a serial port, unless you have an Ethernet or WiFi Shield for your Arduino.

Trevor

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Thank you for your reply

The problem is I'm not familiar with the C# language, I know C very well since It's the programming langage for Arduino. Could you  show an example code to achieve a communication between RDS and arduino?

Monday, June 13, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hey, if you know C well and it's the language used for Arduino, why not just use C?
    Monday, June 13, 2011 11:33 PM
  • How is it possible?
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:15 PM
  • You can't really write DSS services in C. At best you would have to use managed C++ because RDS is based on .NET. In any case, the recommended language is C#. Perhaps you should try learning C#, it's not that hard.

Of course you would write the Arduino end in C.

Another alternative is to use a Netduino which is compatible with Arduino shields and runs the .NET Micro Framework. Then you can actually program the Netduino using C# as well (with Visual Studio). I have been playing around with a Netduino Plus which has en Ethernet port on-board. That allows you to communicate using TCP/IP. I don't have anything written yet that is worth releasing and it is a part-time project so don't hold your breath waiting for me :-)

Trevor

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:12 AM
  • hello, the Arduino is a 8-bit processor so it is not able to run some code written in SDRM, specifications attached 

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno

http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8161.pdf

However, you can make communication through the computer serial protocol with arduino board, ie the computer must send certain commands to the arduino can interpret and then execute as read sensors, motors and other features enabled you can embed, luck

@ltheux

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:23 PM