Astoria.Client futures? RRS feed

• Question

•  

On a quick look it seems as if the client library doesn't require WCF, i.e. .NET 3.0.+, with just plain 2.0 System.Net.HttpWebResponse/Resquest(!) used. Is that the longer term plan (it's ok to guess :-)?

Plus, as well as a JSON serializer/deseriler, an object statemanager and a nice wrapper over the GET/POST calls, what would I lose if we don't use the client side library?

Is the longer term strategy to keep the Astoria client/service as some that should be always be used together or is it ok to 'go naked' on the client and just use the service side wrangling?

David

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

The client library was built using minimal dependencies because it had to work in the full .NET framework and also in the Silverlight runtime environment**. Moving forward, we may or may not use the WCF client infrastructure...we will sort that out after looking at it together with the WCF team (they already built the server-side WCF integration infrastructure in the Astoria code base).

** Silverlight is getting more and more of these components, it's just that when we started they weren't there. Also, note that while we have been working on making the client library work in Silverlight, those bits are not in the CTP. That was just a timing issue, and unless something completely unexpected happens support for Silverlight should be there in the next iteration.

Same thing for the JSON serializer...there wasn't one broadely available first; once things get stable, we'll use the one that comes with the platform rather than using a private implementation.

Whether you "go naked" ( Smile ) against the service or use the client is up to your style of programming and the requirements of the application you are building. We were careful to maintain the base HTTP interface simple enough so that it was straightforward to code to it directly using any HTTP client. However, the client library does bring a lot of nice things to the programming model (if you check out the samples you'll see what I'm referring to).

Pablo Castro

Technical Lead

Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:28 PM