none
VS2019 - What is the option "Perform editor feature analysis in background (experimental)"? RRS feed

• Question

• The subject says it... I am trying to figure out why options related to formatting/re-formatting/and otherwise altering my code -that WERE in 2017, appear to be missing in 2019, and why I cannot get 2019 to just leave my code as I write it.  I would guess they moved and/or renamed some stuff - which is pretty effing lame and should be at the TOP of the release notes instead of all the hyped up new stuff most people never touch. 

I've been a huge fan of VS for many years but it continues to look like they want us small "Community license" type people to either go away or be satisfied with Visual Code - which will never work for me.

Hope I'm wrong because I don't care for the other IDEs I have tried thus far.

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>What is the option "Perform editor feature analysis in background (experimental)"?

Please check this issue, it's one option which helps improve VS performance by moving options below to separate process:

1.Find all references. 2.Navigate to. 3.Add using. 4.Rename

>>why options related to formatting/re-formatting/and otherwise altering my code -that WERE in 2017, appear to be missing in 2019

Do you mean the options about formatting in code editor? If so, you can find them by Tools menu=>Options=>Text Editor. 

e.g: If we use C# language, we can find the formatting settings in Text Editor=>C#, there you can control your formatting.

>>why I cannot get 2019 to just leave my code as I write it

Not sure if you mean Intellisense which show auto-completion list. You can control that by Text Editor=>C#=>Intellisense.

Hope all above helps. If I misunderstanding anything, please feel free to correct me!

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Hi friend,

Sorry to disturb you and just want to confirm if my reply is helpful.

Also, I've downloaded Vs2019 community and the settings are still there to work like VS2017.

For formatting:

You can find them in: Tools=>Options=>Text Editor=>C#=>Code Style=>Formatting(Assuming you use C#)

For auto-completion: (enter 'cw', the Console.WriteLine() comes)

The setting locates in: Tools=>Options=>Text Editor=>C#=>Intellisense...

Hope all above helps. If my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer so that I can close this thread for you.

Have a nice day!

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:22 AM
  • Greetings and thanks for the reply!  It was helpful and informative indeed.

However, I have already been through all those options trying to get VS to leave my code alone - and by this I do not mean Intellisense etc as that only changes my code if I accept what's recommended.  I mean when - for a real example - I create a new #region and press ENTER and several lines below that INDENT themselves - despite my indent option being NONE.

Or how about this one - I simply press ENTER and my cursor indents itself by 2 tab lengths when I was not inside any code block other than the class (which is column 0).

I have damn near every option turned OFF under Text Editor but there are some things that VS just won't stop doing.  (forgot to mention DIMMING the colors of some of my code that VS marks as unnecessary - that one is driving me insane)

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.  I used to LOVE VS - I've been a fan since the first release - but the past few years it's all been flashy marketing stuff, while use lowly programmers suffer for it with worse usability.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi friend,

Now I get what you mean. Thanks for sharing the details with me.

I've reproduced the issue in my side.(But in VS2017, and the issue occurs randomly??) I've post the problem to Developer Community, please follow it and be patient for the response from the product team.

Thanks for your understanding! Have a nice day:)

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 24, 2019 11:44 AM