Tile questions and improvements?

Question

• In APP-396T by Kip Olsen they go over Tile layout and animations. I guess I have questions that if given negative answers can just be listed as improvements I would like to see.

Is there a way to actually animate a tile?

Is it possible for an animation to shift some direction other than up?

Can you send a notification that doesnt animate at all, it just replaces the tile instantly?

Can you change the number of notifications a tile can scroll through?

Is there a way to actually animate a tile or is the only way to change a tile through a notification? As in maybe a 10 frame animation for I don't know, rotating a world (sphere). It seems if you want the screen to be alive and active this would be a good thing for me to be able to do.  The weather app could have a sparkling sun or shifting clouds in the 2D tile. Or you could have an image just constantly rotating.

It seems at the moment tiles only 'shift up' to animate in.  Is it possible for an animation (notification) to shift some direction other than up? If not then if this capability was added you could add rudimentary animations for fun. EG: the paper airplane app, you could have a paper airplane pointing up on the tile. Shift the plane down to a new tile that points right. Shift the tile left to a new tile with a paper airplane pointing down. shift up to an airplane pointing right. and continue on.  This gives in the most rudimentary form a tile that is animating an airplane (albeit very very slowly) going in a circle, and is handled with a basic shift in/out animation.

I recognize that this may not be a 'normal' use for notifications. But for games in particular it'd be nice to animate in a fashion that is normal for your game.

So along with the previous example, Can you send a notification that doesn't animate, it just replaces the tile instantly? This would allow you in a similar fashion to my last example to make my own makeshift animation by just specifying a set of frames that instantly overlay eachother.

As an aside, can you change the number of notifications a tile can scroll through? By default it was noted that tiles will automatically scroll through a maximum of the last 5 events. Is it possible to set this to a number lower, like 4 or 2?

Thanks.

tl;dr Animation on a tile seems like a good way to get eye focus and I'd be silly not to animate my tile. However I dont have 'new info' to add i just want to animate my tile whether its via an animation, or hacking at the notification system constantly to make my tile change.

• Edited by Mayarnel Friday, September 30, 2011 7:37 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 6:48 PM

Answers

• I don't believe there is any intention of allowing tiles to perform custom animations. It could easily lead to a very visually jarring situation if tiles were all animating in different directions and speeds, leaving the task up to the Metro UI allows it to control updates in a way that maintains a pleasing overall experience without individual applications having to have any awareness of what else is going on on-screen.
    • Marked as answer by Mayarnel Monday, October 3, 2011 9:14 PM
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• I don't believe there is any intention of allowing tiles to perform custom animations. It could easily lead to a very visually jarring situation if tiles were all animating in different directions and speeds, leaving the task up to the Metro UI allows it to control updates in a way that maintains a pleasing overall experience without individual applications having to have any awareness of what else is going on on-screen.
    • Marked as answer by Mayarnel Monday, October 3, 2011 9:14 PM
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Okay well I can see that differing speed could be bad, but even with the current functionality I could see people just end up telling their title to swap out tiles not because they have an update for info, but just because it creates an animation and draws the users eye.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:13 PM