none
Making single installer for addins of multiple Outlook versions RRS feed

• Question

• I am making outlook addins separately for Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010. I want to write a single installer that can install the addin basing on which outlook version is being used. How to do that? Because WebEx seem to be doing that, with out asking for which version it has installed in my word, excel, outlook. If there is a way please provide reference to it.

Also please share any alternative approaches if you are aware of. Thanks.
    Friday, August 3, 2012 10:44 PM

Answers

• sure you can, you can either provide choice in msi installer for user to select which outlook he has and make conditions in registry entries based on that choice or you can in custom install action detect outlook version yourself and make proper entries by hand. Biggest obstacle would be to provide single installer for 2010 which comes in 2 bitness flavors, you would have to make custom action and juggle on/off win API redirections, so much easier would be to provide 2 separate installers - one for 32 bit and second for 64.
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:00 AM
  • What I was suggesting was using Installer in conjunction with a .exe, to allow you to target 32 bit and 64 bit installs of Office with a single package. You can run custom actions (i.e. run the .exe) on install/uninstall, so it can be run to remove the keys upon uninstall as part of the process initiated from the control panel in the normal manner.

Of course, like I said, it would be easier if your boss/client will allow you just to do separate Installers for 32 and 64 bit Office. Certainly quicker for you.
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:56 AM

All replies

• sure you can, you can either provide choice in msi installer for user to select which outlook he has and make conditions in registry entries based on that choice or you can in custom install action detect outlook version yourself and make proper entries by hand. Biggest obstacle would be to provide single installer for 2010 which comes in 2 bitness flavors, you would have to make custom action and juggle on/off win API redirections, so much easier would be to provide 2 separate installers - one for 32 bit and second for 64.
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Thanks Damian,

Won't that problem be found in 2007 or 2003?

And if you have any references please do add here, since I don't have much experience in win apis and setups.

Prakash.

Saturday, August 4, 2012 2:37 PM
  • i;m not sure about what problems do you speak of? 32 bit installer will cover 2003,2007 and 2010 32 bit outlooks and 64 bit installer 2010 64 bit (and of course looming ahead 2013)
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 6:45 PM
  • It would be easiest to do a separate installer, as Damian says, for 64 bit. However you could could write your own .exe to add the registry entries. This thread shows how to test whether 64 bit or 32 bit applications are installed.
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:40 PM
  • remeber that your own exe will not leave entry in add/remove programs in control panel which is what users expect to see when uninstalling applications. Making conditions in MSI installer is not harder then writing your own exe.
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 5:53 AM
  • What I was suggesting was using Installer in conjunction with a .exe, to allow you to target 32 bit and 64 bit installs of Office with a single package. You can run custom actions (i.e. run the .exe) on install/uninstall, so it can be run to remove the keys upon uninstall as part of the process initiated from the control panel in the normal manner.

Of course, like I said, it would be easier if your boss/client will allow you just to do separate Installers for 32 and 64 bit Office. Certainly quicker for you.
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:56 AM