none
Dropdown list display in Vidsual Studio Wizard

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to create a new MFC application project in Visual Studio 2005. There is no problem in creating the project, but while I was going through the MFC Application Wizard the dropdown list display was a bit strange (refer the attached picture). The display width of the dropdown list was smaller than the width of the combo box ( or in other words the width was depending on the length of the longest string in the list). It's same in case of VS2008, VS2010 & VS2012 Professional.

As I remember, the width of the dropdown list was same as width of the combobox. Recently i upgraded my IE from IE9 to IE11. This was the only major update. If I downgrade to IE9 there was no problem in display. But I have to use IE11. Can anyone suggest me some solutions.

If you want to try then just do as below

[FIle]->[New]->[Project] ->[Project Types]-> [Visual C++]-> [MFC]->[MFC Application]

In [MFC Application Wizard]->[Generated Classes]-> [Base class]

Thank You.dropdown list width

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Lake Xiao,

Thank You for your reply. If I downgrade from IE11 to IE9 the problem is solved. The droplist display has no problem. But I want to use IE11.

As it's working properly for you, I think environment settings might be the cause. I checked in several PC's around me but all PC's had the same problem. 

Yes, you are right it doesn't affect the functionality, but would still like to see the droplist display properly.

Can you answer few of my questions regarding your PC environment. It would be of great help.

1. Do you have other browsers other than IE11? If yes, which are those and which one is set as default? 

2. Are you using Win 7 or Win 10?

Thank You. 

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi nayakroshan,

Thanks for your post.

I did a test in my side using VS2010 and VS2008. But I can't reproduce your issue. It works well in my side.

Please refer to my test result in the following screenshot:

The IE in my side is IE11 as well. And I don't think the cause is in the IE. To verify it, please restore to IE9 and check whether the problem exist.

If still the same problem when change back to IE9. I suppose your system environment may affect it. Please restart your machine and restart your VS then try it again.

If still no help, since this dropdown list will not affect the function you use, I suggest you could ignore it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, February 22, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao,

Thank You for your reply. If I downgrade from IE11 to IE9 the problem is solved. The droplist display has no problem. But I want to use IE11.

As it's working properly for you, I think environment settings might be the cause. I checked in several PC's around me but all PC's had the same problem. 

Yes, you are right it doesn't affect the functionality, but would still like to see the droplist display properly.

Can you answer few of my questions regarding your PC environment. It would be of great help.

1. Do you have other browsers other than IE11? If yes, which are those and which one is set as default? 

Thank You. 

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Hi nayakroshan,

>>1. Do you have other browsers other than IE11? If yes, which are those and which one is set as default? 

No, I only install the IE browser, you can refer to the screenshot to see the version of my IE.

I am using Windwos 8.1 Enterprise.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:38 AM