none
Project cannot be created ... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to learn how to use Visual Studio\Visual Studio Tools for Office.  I have the Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime installed on my computer.

This past week I managed to create, test and deploy my first Word Application Level Add-In.  Today I am trying to create my first Document Level.  However each time I try to create the new project Visual Studio errors.

With the exception of wiping my PC clean and starting over, I have done just about everything I've seen concerning this issue.

I have repaired, both VS and VSTO, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both VS and VSTO.  I have renamed my Word Normal.dotm.  The problem is the add-in is not on the disabled list, it is not on the inactive list (that I can find) it is simply nowhere to be seen in the Word application.

In control panel, programs and features, I see Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64)

On my hard drive I see the VSTOWordAdapter.dll file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\x86 

In the registry, there is a key HKey_Local_Machine>Software>Office>Word>AddIns>VS10WordAdapter which contains the following:

Does anyone have any idea why it won't work?

I have Office 2013/2010/2007/2003 installed on my PC.  I use a registry hack to ensure that Word files are registered to Word 2010.  Could having Office 2013 installed on my PC be preventing the Word VS Design-Time Adapter Add-in from being seen/loaded by Word?

I really need to keep all four versions of Word installed.  All I want to do with Visual Studio at this point is develop Office Word add-ins.  Does anyone know if the new and free Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition supports Visual Studio 2013 Tools for Office?  Do you think that if I uninstalled VS2010 and VS2010 Tools for Office  and installed VS2013 CE and VS2013  Tools for Office that it would work?

Thanks.

Greg Maxey Please visit my website at: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm

• Edited by Greg Maxey Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:17 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:17 PM

Answers

• Go to this link to install the VSTO Tools for VS2013. Once installed you should see the templates under Office/Sharepoint. You can only target the .Net 4.0 and 4.5 Frameworks, but as long as you dont use anything that was introduced in 2010+ versions you should have no problem using the addin in 2007.
    • Marked as answer by Greg Maxey Friday, November 28, 2014 2:26 PM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 4:42 AM
  • Ok, after uninstalling everything remotely related to Visual Studio and reinstalling my 2010 versions of the programs the original issue was resolved. 

I then left the 2010 versions installed and installed the 2013 versions.  This time the Office category is available in VS 2013 and all seems to be working there as well.

Now I am hoping that when I delete the 2010 versions everything will still work in the 2013 version.

Thanks everyone for you input and support.

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hello Greg,

Do you see the VSTO adapter (add-in) in Office 2013?

VSTO allows creating version specific add-ins. That's why I'd suggest keeping only Office 2010 installed for developing document level add-ins with VS2010.

The Community Edition of Visual Studio 2013 corresponds to the Professional one. So, it supports creating Office add-ins with VSTO.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Eugene,

Thanks for you reply.  No, I don't see the add-in loaded, inactive, or disabled in Word 2013 or any version of Word.

I only have one computer and I really need all four versions of Word installed.  I notice that VS/VSTO 2010 appears to support Word 2010 and 2007.  Do you think VS 2013 CE and VSTO 2013 would support 2013/2010/2007? 

Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:45 PM
  • This is madness.

I uninstalled Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office.  I then installed the Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition. 

I assumed that it would have VSTO included with it, but when I tried to open a new project the Office category is not shown.  I then reinstalled the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office (the installation data indicates that is the software for VS 2010 and 2013.)  Still no Office category of projects is shown.

I then tried to repair VS 2013, I'm pretty sure I saw it acquiring the VSTO files.  Still no Office category of projects is shown.

After all of this, I looked in the installation folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0.  In there is a folder named Visual Studio Tools for Office and the folder is empty (no files).  There is also a Setup folder that is empty.

Please, what does one have to do to install and use VSTO with the VS 2013 Community Edition?

Friday, November 28, 2014 12:41 AM
  • Go to this link to install the VSTO Tools for VS2013. Once installed you should see the templates under Office/Sharepoint. You can only target the .Net 4.0 and 4.5 Frameworks, but as long as you dont use anything that was introduced in 2010+ versions you should have no problem using the addin in 2007.
    Friday, November 28, 2014 4:42 AM
  • Steve,

No joy.  I had installed and tried that about 3 hours ago.  Still no Office templates were found.

I've since uninstalled the 2013 version and re-installed the 2010 version.  I'll try again when I have another 6 hours to spare :-(

Oh, an oddly enough, after this second re-installation of VS 2010 today, I am now able to create a document level solution. I am no longer getting the error first reported.

• Edited by Greg Maxey Friday, November 28, 2014 4:55 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 4:50 AM
  • Ok, after uninstalling everything remotely related to Visual Studio and reinstalling my 2010 versions of the programs the original issue was resolved. 

I then left the 2010 versions installed and installed the 2013 versions.  This time the Office category is available in VS 2013 and all seems to be working there as well.

Now I am hoping that when I delete the 2010 versions everything will still work in the 2013 version.

Thanks everyone for you input and support.

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:26 PM