How to unpin an IE10 website?

Question

• I want to remove a pinned IE10 website. I can (and have) remove it from the start screen the same way any other program is unpinned.
    However, I cannot figure out how to remove it from the 'pinned' list on the metro IE10 new tab page. Can this be done? Does anybody know how?
    Thank you. 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:24 AM

Answers

• I want to remove a pinned IE10 website. I can (and have) remove it from the start screen the same way any other program is unpinned.
    However, I cannot figure out how to remove it from the 'pinned' list on the metro IE10 new tab page. Can this be done? Does anybody know how?
    Thank you. 

If I understand you correctly, go to a new Tab and right-click the unwanted web page and choose Remove this page.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• Once I deleted my 'pinned' website from my metro UI, the icon disappeared in the metro Internet Explorer 'pinned' sites also. To remove your webpage from 'pinned' go to the metro UI, and right click on your icon. Advanced options will appear. Click on the "unpin page" option.

Once deleted, go to your browser. Do you still see it showing up under 'pinned' sites?

If you wish to check this in your browser,  open your browser. Right click anywhere on the page to get the black overlay. Do you still see your website under the 'pinned' column? Is your icon under the Frequent Page column?

If you still see it open in a tab, you will need to close the tab prior to removing it from your 'pinned' sites. To remove from a tab, right click on the browser to get the black overlay. An overview of your icon will appear with an 'x' in the upper right hand side. Simply click the 'x' to remove the 'tabbed' page.

After you try these steps, are you still having problems?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:53 AM
    Answerer
    Thank you. 

If I understand you correctly, go to a new Tab and right-click the unwanted web page and choose Remove this page.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I have the same problem. There appears to be no way to remove a pinned site directly from the IE10 pinned site list. Right clicking has no effect. And somehow on my metro start screen the pinned site no longer exists, so I see no way to remove it.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Are you gentlemen talking about pinned (right-hand list on the new tab) or recent sites (left-hand list on the new tab)?
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, October 31, 2011 8:09 PM
  • I am talking about Pinned. I ignore the recent sites list, it's too random for me.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 8:12 PM
  • There appears to be no way to remove a pinned site directly from the IE10 pinned site list.

Not directly.   But apparently what happens when you pin a web page you create a new pinned app in the Start Screen.   Who knew?   So then what you can do is use Search Apps  (e.g. type the first letter of the site you want to unpin), then as has been suggested right click on that icon and choose Remove.   Pizza cake.   (Rube Goldberg would be impressed.)   ; }

So now to try to fix this I am going to create a new tile cluster on the first Start screen page with an expanded  IE  button at the top and all my pinned sites under it.   I think something like that should have happened automatically.   Geesh.   It's not going to let me make a double?   Anyway, small or double the IE icon will always be first and then new ones will be dragged under it.   I wonder if this makes it get the idea so new ones are inserted there automatically?   Nope.  That would be too useful.   I had to go all the way to the end again and drag a new one back to where I wanted it.

BTW now I would like to be able to rename them, just like any other Favorite or shortcut but that doesn't seem to be possible using the UI either.   WIP.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Curious George Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Indeed you are correct. I was unable to find the pinned site on my Start screen but Search enabled me to find it and remove the Pin. It is no longer in my Pinned sites list in the Metro version of IE.

Thanks Robert.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Hi Robert,

When you're talking about creating a cluster of Favourites (that is pinned sites in Metro terminology, right?), are you talking about going to %appdata%\Programs and creating a folder with Windows Explorer or like?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:21 AM