What references of a library must be included in projects using the library?

Question

• A dozen Windows Store app projects use a library project (let's call it LibProj). The NuGet package WCF Data Services Client for OData v1-3 was added to LibProj recently. I have just found that all projects that do not have WCF Data Services Client for OData v1-3 installed are broken. These projects do not use anything related WCF Data Services Client, but they have to have the package in order to be built.

This is not the case for other NuGet packages.  For example, LibProj also uses the Callisto package, but projects referencing LibProj do not have to have the Callisto package to be built.

I also noticed that the reference Micorsoft Advertising SDK for Windows 8.1 (Xaml), which is not a NuGet package, used by LibProj must also be included in projects referencing the library even though they do not Micorsoft Advertising SDK.

I am wondering  how to determine which references used by a library project must be included in projects referencing the library.

Hong

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:05 PM

All replies

• Not really a Store development question. I think it's a matter of reading the documentation for a particular project. This information should be included or it's bad documentation.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, March 21, 2014 7:53 PM
  • I am not sure what you mean by documentation.  

Let me simplify my question as the following:

There is a Windows Store app library project that is used by 100 Windows Store app projects.  At one point of time, I add a NuGet package PakcageFoo to the library  project for functions that are NOT used by the 100 projects.  How would one know whether he needs to ask others to add PackageFoo to the 100 projects?

Hong

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:06 PM