KB3153199 and KB3156017 breaks SQL RRS feed

• Question

• While testing the May 2016 windows patches for stability, we found that Windows Update Patches KB3153199, KB3156017 break the ability for SQL Server to launch and or execute. These patches address vulnerabilities with Windows Kernel Drivers specifically:
    How the Windows kernel-mode driver handles objects in memory.
    How the Windows kernel handles memory addresses.
    The way in which the Microsoft DirectX graphics kernel subsystem (dxgkrnl.sys) handles certain calls and escapes to preclude improper memory mapping and prevent unintended elevation from user-mode.
    The files that are updated are (Win32k.sys, Cdd.dll, Dxgkrnl.sys, Dxgmms1.sys and Lddmcore.ptxml)

With test we found that each of these updates lock SQL Server in Single user mode.

Has anyone else had this issue? It also kill my WSUS Management console I get a SQL error failed to communicate with database. Uninstall the 2 patches and it works fine again. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Quinton Jones,

In this case, you could try stop and start your instance by using command prompt with following commands:

net stop InstanceName

net start InstanceName

If your instance is still in single user mode, I would suggest you submit a feedback to Microsoft at this site. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:11 AM