none
Why isn't Office 2007 STD available to download through TechNet Plus? RRS feed

• Question

• It's bad enough that the download section of volume licensing is down, but I should be able to trust TechNet Plus downloads as a backup. However, just when I really need a download of Office 2007 STD, I find it isn't available. Why does this situation exist? It should be fixed. Make ALL of the products for an application suite should be available, not just the professional and 'ultimate.'

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:12 AM

Answers

•  

Some Microsoft products are not included in TechNet Subscriptions due to special licensing terms, technical restrictions, or IT Professional relevance. Office 2007 Standard edition is not currently available to TechNet Subscribers.

Also remember that products on TechNet Subscriptions are licensed for evaluation purposes, not production use.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

•  

Some Microsoft products are not included in TechNet Subscriptions due to special licensing terms, technical restrictions, or IT Professional relevance. Office 2007 Standard edition is not currently available to TechNet Subscribers.

Also remember that products on TechNet Subscriptions are licensed for evaluation purposes, not production use.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Sure, but when I have a valid volume license and the volume license center is *down*, I should have a backup, via Microsoft, that allows me to use my vol license keys - that backup should be the TechNet Plus download center. I pay for the right to make my job and my life easier. Microsoft is less concerned with my happiness as a customer and more concerned with the few who violate terms. It's unfortunate, really.

Joel

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Rereading this, I find myself even more frustrated. I inquired as to why the situation exists, and instead of a rational explanation that holds some logic behind it, the MSFT answer tows the corporate line. You might as well have said "because we don't want to" - c'mon, what kind of licensing terms, technical restrictions, or relevance problems exist with the STD edition of Office 2007 that the Professional and "Ultimate" editions lack? The only difference is that SBE(also not on TechNet) and STD are the versions companies actually use. Face it, MSFT worried about piracy of key products in the line, and instead of admitting it and finding a resolution that works for companies, you give us a smoke and mirrors act.

As for the "remember... not production use" - if I have a valid license key, I should be able to use whatever image I can get my hands on. Shame on Microsoft for making these licensing restrictions more and more ridiculous over the years. You were rich and successful when you started the anti-piracy campaign; now it shackels and blocks your products from legitimate subscribers and serves to drive away solid customers like me.

Joel Pippin

• Proposed as answer by Kev-ster Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:27 PM