Getting parent entity data RRS feed

• Question

• I have an entity which has a parent record related by a foreign key i.e. a workitem can have many jobs.

Dim f = (From t In ctx.Jobs Select t.JobId)

When I go to get the parent data e.g.

Dim f = (From t In ctx.Jobs Select t.JobId,t.WorkQueueItems.DateCreated)

I get told DateCreated is not a member of the WorkQueueItems, the only thing that shows up in the intellisense are things like SUM and AGGREGATE. I need to get the parent info.

How do I do this? Regards, Chris.

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:29 PM

Answers

• From looking at it without any schema, it looks like WorkQueueItems is a collection.  You are trying to select a DateCreated from a collection instead of from a record, that is why you see collection related items in the intellisense and not the column names.  You need to flatten it out.  Something like:

from j in ctx.Jobs

from w in j.WorkQueueItems

select j.JobId, w.DateCreated

BTW - Is Chris and Fresno Bob same person?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:35 AM

All replies

• From looking at it without any schema, it looks like WorkQueueItems is a collection.  You are trying to select a DateCreated from a collection instead of from a record, that is why you see collection related items in the intellisense and not the column names.  You need to flatten it out.  Something like:

from j in ctx.Jobs

from w in j.WorkQueueItems

select j.JobId, w.DateCreated

BTW - Is Chris and Fresno Bob same person?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:35 AM
  • Cheers I'll look forward to trying that out tomorrow. Yes Fresno Bob and Chris are the same - it's just on lots of forums my name is taken, Oddly enough Fresno Bob isn't.....

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:15 AM