none
<basicHttpContextBinding> vs <basicHttpBinding> RRS feed

• Question

•    

Hi 

I am trying to understand the core difference in between  <basicHttpContextBinding> and  <basicHttpBinding>. Though i understand that basicHttpContextBinding provides HTTPContext like asp.net does by my confusion is 

basicHttpContextBinding uses Cookies to support it and i got same setting (allowCookies="Boolean") in both binding 

so does it mean that both bindings are same if we turn on allowCookies=true ?

Thanks

Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

BasicHttpBinding defines a binding used by WCF to configure and expose endpoints which provide compatibility with ASMX based services and clients, or to any other type of services which comply with WS-I Basic Profile 1.1. It makes use of HTTP transport protocol to deliver SOAP 1.1 messages.

BasicHttpContextBinding provides same functionality as BasicHttpBinding but with some extras. It ensures that the WCF service exposed through this endpoint binding is compatible with ASP.NET session state features.

BasicHttpContextBinding is same as of BasicHttpBinding with more attributes not only just use the cookies, but also enable SOAP headers to exchange context. And this binding is mainly used for Durable services.

So just turn on allowCookies=true can not achive the same between them.

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards.

Amy Peng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ashwini47 Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

BasicHttpBinding defines a binding used by WCF to configure and expose endpoints which provide compatibility with ASMX based services and clients, or to any other type of services which comply with WS-I Basic Profile 1.1. It makes use of HTTP transport protocol to deliver SOAP 1.1 messages.

BasicHttpContextBinding provides same functionality as BasicHttpBinding but with some extras. It ensures that the WCF service exposed through this endpoint binding is compatible with ASP.NET session state features.

BasicHttpContextBinding is same as of BasicHttpBinding with more attributes not only just use the cookies, but also enable SOAP headers to exchange context. And this binding is mainly used for Durable services.

So just turn on allowCookies=true can not achive the same between them.

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards.

Amy Peng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ashwini47 Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:09 AM
  • thanks for clarifying Amy.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:14 AM