Questions regarding Planning a Project using TFS Scrum Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have added some items to the Product Backlog and I have added tasks to these Items and we have estimated the effort (as a team) and we have assigned the Tasks to members of the team (I have also set each of the team members capacity).

I am looking for guidance on a couple of things as we are new to Scrum and this is our first project using Scrum.

1. This Project is a Migration Project moving from SP2007 to SP2013. We don't have a set of business requirements.

The idea of using Sprints does not really work for us - tasks can span two sprints and we cannot break them down further.

At the end of a two week Sprint we will not have a shippable product and testing will not happen until the very end.

We have an 8 week development window and the System Testing and UAT will happen at the end.

What I have done is as follows - I have all the PBI's and Tasks in one Sprint which runs for 8 weeks (as this is what the hours on the Tasks add up to).

Is this the right way to do this?

2 Secondly, when I added the Tasks and entered values (in hours) for the Original Estimate fields and Remaining Work fields, how can I tell how long the overall Project will take? Within TFS where does it show the total count of hours for all Tasks? I did this manually and I then set the dates on the Sprint.

Looking for a steer or any advice on whether I am doing this the right way? Would appreciate any comments or feedback?

Thanks.

CG

Friday, June 17, 2016 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let me reply your questions by listing your description as points

1. This is the first time you are using SCRUM

2. You have 8 weeks for development and Testing goes at the end

3. You see the idea of sprints is not applicable in this project, because you have tasks that may span two sprints

4. You will go with one sprint for the whole project, expecting this to be one sprint for 8 weeks, two months

and you have some questions:-

1. Is this the optimal case for your project to working using the above specs?

2. How long will the project take based on the estimations? where to show in TFS?

Let me comment/answer your questions correspondingly

1. This is the first time you are using SCRUM

I wish you a successful implementation of SCRUM as this would be the first time using SCRUM, but I presume that you better understanding of SCRUM as an agile approach and I highly recommend if you go through this helpful guide Do Better SCRUM, it explains SCRUM in a very brief and clear way

2. You have 8 weeks for development and Testing goes at the end

You have specified 8 weeks for the development, but what for the testing? you should put a time for testing too in order to specific the total time of your first release. Also, it's highly recommended if you implement agile testing, I mean if you can include testing as a task to every user story you have in the backlog, this will help you meet the "Done Definition". Testing can expands a sprint to another, no problem about that. The output of every sprint is what we call a potentially ship-able product. this doesn't mean a product you can deliver to a customer, but part of the features of the system is implemented and you can run a demo of these features for your customer.

If you have problems to engage testing in your sprints among the tasks, it's okay but specify a sprint "Two weeks or less" if required and following your development sprints.

3. You see the idea of sprints is not applicable in this project, because you have tasks that may span two sprints

The idea behind sprints in SCRUM and iterations in agile in general is to meet an important principle of the agile principles that is early and continuous delivery of valuable software, this will help in receiving feedback from the customer and respond to changes early too!

if your entire project will be one sprint, so we can consider the project as a black box where the customer will stay away from the project and hence his product will remain hidden till you end with the project and deliver the product to him. this of course is what we call a waterfall model, you see the customer only two times, at the first and the end of the project and you will be in a risk to deliver the needed requirements unless you are 100% quite sure of the requirements and those requirements won't change anyway. 

So I highly recommend if you split the phases into two sprints or more and engage your customer as possible as you can in order to get a feedback and respond to changes when needed.

4. You will go with one sprint for the whole project, expecting this to be one sprint for 8 weeks, two months

Sprints in SCRUM may range from two to four weeks but you are free to specify the duration of the sprint depending on your release length, team and other considerations. please refer to this post for more guidelines, Selecting a sprint length for your project

but as I illustrated in the above point, you are recommended to have several sprints to have early feedback, when we are talking about releases from 3 to 6 months. in your case, your release is ranging from two to three months, 

for a 2 months release, try to make it two sprints at least or more when needed.

Answering your questions

1. Is this the optimal case for your project to working using the above specs?

Based on what you described, try to adjust to agile principles and values. Don't restrict your approach to conditions like "You are not able to break down tasks", try to break down tasks into categories, for example UI, Business logic, DAL, unit testing and so on and put your estimates on these tasks.

2. How long will the project take based on the estimations? where to show in TFS?when you put the estimations for every task on the remaining work field, you have chart called Sprint burn down chart, this shows a helpful chart with a tracking of the remaining work across the days of the sprint. based on the total hours on the Y- Axis, you can estimate how long the sprint will take based on the capacity of your team.

You can find more details about this chart here 

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Mahmoud

Sunday, June 19, 2016 10:47 PM