Privileges needed for installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to understand the privileges needed for installation of SQL Server 2016/2017 on Windows 2016.  Installation, not the service accounts to run sql server, but for installation.  I cannot seem to find this in the documents.  The prereqs just talk about the service accounts.

Our installation account has domain admin, and we would like to reduce this to the necessary.  Any help appreciated!

Dianne

Dianne

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:19 PM

Answers

• That account should be member of local administrators group on a Windows operating system.

To add into local administrator group, follow these steps:

• Log on to the computer as a user who has administrative credentials.
      • Right-click My Computer on the computer desktop and click Manage.
      • Expand Local Users and Groups.
      • Click Groups.
      • Double-click Administrators to display the Administrators Properties window.
      • Click Add.
      • Select the name of the user that you created and click Add. and click OK.

===================================================================
    Please click "Mark as Answer" if it solved your issue and/or "Vote as helpful" if it helped. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

• Edited by Suman Zakka Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by DianneScott Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Dianne,

SQL Server is a software like any others and requires the same permission for installation: At least local Windows admin permissions

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:38 PM
  • That account should be member of local administrators group on a Windows operating system.

To add into local administrator group, follow these steps:

• Log on to the computer as a user who has administrative credentials.
      • Right-click My Computer on the computer desktop and click Manage.
      • Expand Local Users and Groups.
      • Click Groups.
      • Double-click Administrators to display the Administrators Properties window.
      • Click Add.
      • Select the name of the user that you created and click Add. and click OK.

===================================================================
    Please click "Mark as Answer" if it solved your issue and/or "Vote as helpful" if it helped. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

• Edited by Suman Zakka Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by DianneScott Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:03 PM