Installing the Windows IoT insider preview on SD card when booting Windows 10 from VHD Native Boot RRS feed

• Question

• The setup instructions for the raspberry pi 2 mention that "you will need to follow these instructions on a physical Windows machine (and not a VM) because you need access to the SD card reader."

Will this work if you boot Windows 10 natively from a VHD (like this) or does the virtualization still get in the way?

Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:26 AM

Answers

• If you insert the SD card and can see it in explorer or when you perform the diskpart command to list drives, then it should work, since in effect the VHD is the native OS at that point.  If you don't see the card, then you'll have to perform a local install.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:59 PM

All replies

• I have a Windows 10 machine and followed the instructions to the letter but it gets stuck on a blank screen on boot - Graphics Console Started and nothing else :(
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:19 AM
  • If you insert the SD card and can see it in explorer or when you perform the diskpart command to list drives, then it should work, since in effect the VHD is the native OS at that point.  If you don't see the card, then you'll have to perform a local install.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:59 PM
  • I've had the same problem. I tried to flash the image on a Transcend class 10 8gb card, but it doesn't work. I changed to a SanDisk 8gb card and it works fine. Hope this will help you.
    Friday, May 1, 2015 8:36 PM