Get last version (recursive) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We are using the German version of Visual Studio Team Suite and we have problem with the function "Letzte Version abrufen(rekursiv)". I believe in English it is called "Get last version (recursive)" or something similar. If we use this function, it does not get the complete solution correctly. If we compile and start, there are often errors and the application crashes. Everytime we have to delete all the local directories and files of the complete solution and then load the solution completely new from the Team Foundation Server (then it works).

That is very annoying and we don't understand what is going on. Are we doing something wrong?

Best regards
    CSharpNewbie22

Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:49 PM

Answers

• If you've used other version control systems (e.g. Visual SourceSafe) in the past, they typically track the status of your files at the client.  For example, the VSS client would tell the VSS Server what files it has and what files are needed when doing a "get latest" command.

In TFS, the server tracks the status of your files - not the client.  So, for example, if you delete a file on your development workstation using Windows Explorer and you perform a "get latest", the file will not be downloaded again because TFS thinks you already have it on your machine.

So, if you're modifying files, renaming them, and/or deleting them using tools external to TFS and Visual Studio then TFS does not realize they have been modified and they will not be re-downloaded.

I don't know if this is what's happening in your case but it may help.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:59 PM

All replies

• If you've used other version control systems (e.g. Visual SourceSafe) in the past, they typically track the status of your files at the client.  For example, the VSS client would tell the VSS Server what files it has and what files are needed when doing a "get latest" command.

In TFS, the server tracks the status of your files - not the client.  So, for example, if you delete a file on your development workstation using Windows Explorer and you perform a "get latest", the file will not be downloaded again because TFS thinks you already have it on your machine.

So, if you're modifying files, renaming them, and/or deleting them using tools external to TFS and Visual Studio then TFS does not realize they have been modified and they will not be re-downloaded.

I don't know if this is what's happening in your case but it may help.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:59 PM
  • I understand what you say, Jeff.

But I definately don't change any file on my local hard disk that is part of the solution with any other program. I only use Visual Studio for changing files in the solution.

Thanks for the information Smile    but that isn't the solution of our issue.

Regards
    CSharpNewbie22

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Hello CSharpNewbie22:

Do you apply SP1 for Visual Studio Team Suit (including SP1 for Team Foundation Server and SP1 for Team Explorer)?

Or could you please try to clear the client catch to see if it works?

Delete files in C:\Documents and Settings\%User%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation\1.0\Cache

Good luck.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 3:06 AM
  • @Hua Chen

Yes, we have applied those Service Packs.

We will try to delete the files in the Cache (there are several) and see if it will work in the future.

Regards

CSharpNewbie22

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Jeff wrote:

"In TFS, the server tracks the status of your files - not the client.  So, for example, if you delete a file on your development workstation using Windows Explorer and you perform a "get latest", the file will not be downloaded again because TFS thinks you already have it on your machine."

WOW! This is truly a case of an application attempting to be “smart" but not “smart enough.”  I would honestly classify that as a bug. How can one actually assume the old versions are there?

I am now wrestling with this issue in 2.0. Deleting the directory does not work. If nothing else, there should be a "force" checkbox which downloads all of the files.

The following is my scenario:

1. Got original files.
    2. Deleted files on my machine.
    3. Open up the explorer.
    4. Click Get Latest Recursive.
    5. It displays a popup stating files are up to date.
    6. Open my machines directory.
    7. Observe files are not there.

That seems like a bug not a design decision. The application needs to be smart enough to check to see what files are missing. If nothing else, this should be an application option with a checkbox stating "Check for Missing Client Files" or something similar.

To me, this is like creating an original web configuration file and allowing changes. But, it always reads in the original values.

I am still looking for a solution for this issue for 2.0....

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:01 PM
  • OK, there are 2 solutions you can use, Rich.

1) When you delete your local files you must let TFS know that they are gone. You can accomplish this by right clicking on the project and/or folder in TFS you just deleted, select "Get Specific Version", change the dropdown to "Changeset" then enter a "1" in the box that appears. Finally, check the bottom 2 boxes and click "Get". This will change the status of the "Latest" column from "Yes" to "Not downloaded" and will grey out the files and folders.

2) You can just use the "Get Specific Version" instead of "Get Latest Version". Set the dropdown to "Latest Version" and check off the bottom 2 boxes then click "Get". This will force a download of the latest version of the files to your local machine.
    mjlarezzo | Measure twice, cut once
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:14 PM
  • mjlarezzo,

I appreciate you taking time out to respond to my post. I found a bit of a roundabout solution which worked.

1. Upgraded to VS 2008 SP 1.
    2. Set the working directory.
    3. If I wanted to delete and start from scratch, I just changed the working directory name.
    4. Do a fresh get to the new directory.

I will have to use your "Get Specific Version" solution in the future.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Rich

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:56 PM