VS 2015 Can't manage to publish RRS feed

• Question

• User-341952562 posted

I recently updated from XP Pro and VS 2008 (which I understood pretty well) to W10 and VS 2015. I made up a little test application to upload to one of my websites. It looked OK in "View in Browser". In my previous life using VS 2008, I uploaded the files to the server using an FTP tool. In the VS 2015 version I see all sorts of files which I am not familiar with, so I tried Build > Publish and selected Web Deploy and filled in the boxes on the form with the same passwords and so on that I use on the FTP tool. Press the Verify button and it says it cannot get at the site.   I have books by Bruce Johnson and by Powers and Snell but I still cannot figure out what I've done wrong. Please could someone point me at an idiot's guide to the VS Publish function or, alternatively, tell me which of these myriad files to upload using my FTP tool.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:01 PM

Answers

• User1759999623 posted

Web Deploy must be available on the website and you might have a login for that site.  It will be different from your FTP process.

You have several options with the Publish Web dialog, including FTP. The Publish Web process will build the files needed for your website through the Settings tab so that you will not be just copying your files over to the web server.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 12:44 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Are you using an external FTP process?  If so, then it appears that you are not capturing all of the functionality of your web application.

If you want to FTP your web application manually, then you publish to a file location and then FTP what you have.

You need to read up on publishing from Visual Studio.  Do a search on "Visual Studio Publish".

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:48 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

Web Deploy must be available on the website and you might have a login for that site.  It will be different from your FTP process.

You have several options with the Publish Web dialog, including FTP. The Publish Web process will build the files needed for your website through the Settings tab so that you will not be just copying your files over to the web server.

Friday, November 13, 2015 12:44 AM
  • User-341952562 posted

I referred back to Server support and they do not yet have web.deploy. I think therefore that I have to FTP the files more or less as before. However, again I am confused. In VS 2008 I would just have had default.aspx, default.aspx.vb, EngD.css and web.config. FTP from MyComputer E:\ to the site - No Problem At All.

In VS 2015 in MyComputer E:\ I now have approx 15 folders each with some file or another and I'm not sure which ones to ignore. Also web.config is nothing like what I was used to; it seems as though it might be in three bits.

I guess I missed something blindingly obvious here

Friday, November 13, 2015 12:54 PM
  • User-341952562 posted

I made some progress with this, but I still can't get it to work. I FTP'd default.aspx, default.aspx.vb, web.config, web.debug.config, web.release.config, EngD.less. Also HolderA.vbproj and HolderA.vbproj.user. When I tried to call up the site I got an error message :

"The CodeDom provider type "Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.VBCodeProvider, Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" could not be located."

Packages.config looked as though it referred to this missing item, but packages.config itself has something wrong with it because intellisense is saying (today) that

"The following error was encountered : TF400813: Resource not available for anonymous access. Client authentication required."

Yesterday, I also got an intellisence message saying :

"<packages> is not declared"

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:19 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Are you using an external FTP process?  If so, then it appears that you are not capturing all of the functionality of your web application.

If you want to FTP your web application manually, then you publish to a file location and then FTP what you have.

You need to read up on publishing from Visual Studio.  Do a search on "Visual Studio Publish".

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:48 AM