how to translate sql nested statement into linq RRS feed

• Question

• User1777367607 posted

Hi 

I am using Entity Framework and .net I wanted to know the best way of returning the products table which uses the buy price column to calculate a discount value from a separate table.

The sql would look like this

select * ,    
    BuyPrice / (select DiscountValue From discountBands where DiscountKey='A')   As BandA,
    BuyPrice / (select DiscountValue From discountBands where DiscountKey='B')   As BandB,
    BuyPrice / (select DiscountValue From discountBands where DiscountKey='C')   As BandC
    from products

// return _context.Products.OrderBy(c => c.ProdName).ToList();

any ideas please?

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:38 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

If using EF 6, then you could use the EF backdoor, run a stored procedure, return the result and use a datareader to populate products object on the EF model loading a collection of products.

You can then sort the collection or do the sort in the sproc. 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/alexj/2009/11/07/tip-41-how-to-execute-t-sql-directly-against-the-database/

If using EF 6, then you'll have to use the IObjectContextAdapter.to get the connection.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:22 AM
  • User1520731567 posted

Hi SNandra,

The sql would look like this

select * ,    
    BuyPrice / (select DiscountValue From discountBands where DiscountKey='A')   As BandA,
    BuyPrice / (select DiscountValue From discountBands where DiscountKey='B')   As BandB,
    BuyPrice / (select DiscountValue From discountBands where DiscountKey='C')   As BandC
    from products

According to your requirement,I think you could get DiscountValueA,DiscountValueB,DiscountValueC firstly,and then select new list.

For example:

var DiscountValueA= db.discountBands.Where(_ => _.DiscountKey== "A");
    var DiscountValueB= db.discountBands.Where(_ => _.DiscountKey== "B");
    var DiscountValueC= db.discountBands.Where(_ => _.DiscountKey== "C");

var list = db.products.Select(a => new { Id = a.Id, 
    xxx= a.xxx,
    BandA = a.BuyPrice/DiscountValueA,
    BandB = a.BuyPrice/DiscountValueB,
    BandC = a.BuyPrice/DiscountValueC
    }).ToList();

Best Regards.

Yuki Tao