Bing Bar crashes IE when closing tab or browser

Question

• I suspect you already know this, but just in case you want confirmation, if Bing Bar is installed and enabled, IE 10 appears to stop working when a tab or the browser is closed. Uninstalling Bing Bar 7.0.619.0 left from Windows 7 upgrade and installing Bing Bar 7.0.822.0 newly downloaded does not stop the IE 10 crashes in Windows 8 Developer Preview.

Do you know a resolution for running Bing Bar in IE 10?

Repro Steps:

1. Windows 7 32-bit with IE 8 and Bing Bar add-on.
    2. Upgrade to Windows Developer Preview.
    3. Launch IE 10. Message appears "Bing Bar isn't compatible with Internet Explorer and is temporarily disabled."
    4. Click "Keep using it."
    5. Close a tab (even a new tab) or close the browser.
    6. After the tab or browser closes, this message appears: "Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Sunday, October 09, 2011 6:49 PM

Answers

• Since it already said that is NOT compatible , it means that this issue already is known and when you chose keep using it you will run application by your own responsibility . A compatible version would be release in future since it is still pre-beta version.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Hi Chase_Croley,

Browser plugins are only disabled for Metro IE, you are still able to use Flash and other plugins on your desktop browser.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:22 AM

All replies

• Since it already said that is NOT compatible , it means that this issue already is known and when you chose keep using it you will run application by your own responsibility . A compatible version would be release in future since it is still pre-beta version.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Bing Bar will NOT Be supported anymore because Microsoft has decided not to allow plugins in Windows 8. No Flash or anything!
    -Chase Croley
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Hi Chase_Croley,

Browser plugins are only disabled for Metro IE, you are still able to use Flash and other plugins on your desktop browser.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Thank you all for your quick replies and information. 

It's good to know that even though plugins are not expected to be compatible in Metro IE, they will still be available in the desktop IE. As much as I would like to work with a single browser application in the future, I often have two different browser apps running now for functionality and features. I guess that'll continue in Windows 8 -- even if it's just Metro IE and desktop IE. 

Thanks again.

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:34 PM