none
Billable Transactions RRS feed

• Question

• I have the trial account and am geocoding addresses. Last week we had < 10,000 billable transactions. Recently this spiked to 15,000+, which is a bit of a surprise give that the trial enables only a total of 10,000 transactions. Why is this allowing > 15,000? Am I mistaken that this should only allow 10,000? Is the number actually greater? Again, I understood this as a total of 10,000 per month, which we have exceeded.

Also, given we are geocoding single addresses, would each request for an address to be geocoded be considered as a "billable" transaction? Given when we move to the basic or enterprise license and we begin geocoding out addresses we will likely exceed the cap amount, is there method to geocode that minimizes the number of billable transactions?

Thanks 

Monday, March 2, 2015 8:02 PM

Answers

• The free limits are not setup to turn off your access to the service if you exceed them. If your account continues to exceed them then you will likely be contacted by someone from the licensing team to discuss options going forward.

Each request to the service generates a single transaction. If the transaction is billable or not depends on how the request is made. If it is made directly to the service then it is billable. If it is made using a session key which is created by using an interactive map control then it is non-billable as it becomes part of the map session.

When you move to an enterprise account you can make use of the batch geocoding service which allows you to geocode up to 200,000 addresses in a single request. Each address still generates a billable transaction, however each account is allowed 1,000,000 free batch geocode addresses per 365 day period.

If you want to further optimize your geocoding you can also store the results from the Bing Maps geocoder in a database and then check your data against your database before making a request to Bing Maps. This is a great way to eliminate generating additional transactions when geocoding the same addresses more than once.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:45 PM