App Search and Rankings RRS feed

• Question

• One of our Windows Phone apps has a space in its name.  If we search the Windows Phone Store for this app, we cannot find it unless we include quotes around the name.  Why do we have to include the quotes for the search to find the app?
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It considers that as two strings and search and it might be filtering based on ratings matching of keywords. So, your app might some where in last in this scenario.

When you used quotes it searches for exact match including space. So, it can easily pick your app.

-Malleswar

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:57 PM
  • I am having the same problem. My app called "MetTube" just disappeared from a top spot of new releases one day and it never showed up under any keywords.I submitted it under. It only shows up if I type in the exact app name. What is causing this? It has been months?
    Friday, June 27, 2014 10:13 AM
  • By the way, the app I am referring to is MetTube and here is the app ID since I can't post a link. Can someone please help me out here. I spent months developing this app and really, for what?

c2e1d80d-32da-4074-bb99-18f32c45ffb1

Friday, June 27, 2014 10:19 AM
  • So every app name or app keywords (such as IP address lookup) that includes a space requires quotes because the string is considered as two strings.  That is really sad.
    Friday, June 27, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

That is how all search engines also work.

-Malleswar

Friday, June 27, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Not true.  I have never had to enter quotes around search phrases that include spaces on Bing, Google, Yahoo, etc.
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Notice the similarities between the result.  The quotes do reduce the number of hits as would be expected but the result are extremely similar.  Using this logic, leaving out the quotes in a Windows Phone Store search should produce a result list that includes many more apps than a search that includes the quotes.  This is what happens except our app does not appear in the result list of a search without quotes.

With quotes -

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22Old+Orchard+Beach%2C+Maine%22&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=%22old+orchard+beach%2C+maine%22&sc=8-26&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=f1d65a03cbaf4eed8568e1a98395d0d8

Without quotes -

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Old%20Orchard%20Beach%2C%20Maine&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=old%20orchard%20beach%2C%20maine&sc=8-24&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=c44ac8a54e4445318774be340dbbce29

Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

More or less we both are speaking the same thing. I guess, you are misunderstanding my text.

Also please check your keywords provided while submission. According to this link

"Starting this week, we’re going to start enforcing the five keyword rule for all current and future Marketplace apps. Any app that exceeds this number will have all its keywords deleted. Affected developers will be notified and can then enter five new keywords in App Hub. We’re taking this action to help ensure that customers are able to find the most relevant set of apps for their search—including yours.

We’re also starting to examine app keywords for relevancy. We’ve noticed some developers have been entering keywords that are popular search terms—“Justin Bieber,” “YouTube”—but are totally unrelated to their app and what it does. If we find a keyword that’s not relevant to your app’s function or content, we’ll delete that keyword. Additionally, if you suspect that other developers are using high-impact keywords unrelated to their app— “Skype” for a tic-tac-toe game, for example—email reportapp@microsoft.com with the details and we’ll investigate. "

-Malleswar

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Please check your keywords provided while submission. According to this link

"Starting this week, we’re going to start enforcing the five keyword rule for all current and future Marketplace apps. Any app that exceeds this number will have all its keywords deleted. Affected developers will be notified and can then enter five new keywords in App Hub. We’re taking this action to help ensure that customers are able to find the most relevant set of apps for their search—including yours.

We’re also starting to examine app keywords for relevancy. We’ve noticed some developers have been entering keywords that are popular search terms—“Justin Bieber,” “YouTube”—but are totally unrelated to their app and what it does. If we find a keyword that’s not relevant to your app’s function or content, we’ll delete that keyword. Additionally, if you suspect that other developers are using high-impact keywords unrelated to their app— “Skype” for a tic-tac-toe game, for example—email reportapp@microsoft.com with the details and we’ll investigate. "

-Malleswar

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:52 PM
  • moved to another thread, as the merge was with a totally unrelated thread.
    Monday, June 30, 2014 11:06 PM
  • Hello Eric,

I disagree that my thread has been merged with this one. I fail to see why keywords have an effect to New+Rising.

My problem is not related to Search, but with New+Rising and the global ranking.

EDIT:

If merged with any thread, it should be this

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/828e422d-eb22-4890-bcde-4e5d4ca7642f/my-app-desappear-from-the-store-ranking?forum=wpsubmit

• Edited by KakCAT Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:00 PM
  • my app link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/khilkhet/271e870c-4e3c-422a-8dbd-38ba1a6ec4c5
    i can't find app in store with any keyword ...
    my keyword "  khilkhet , dhaka , bangladesh  "please answer it ...
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please check your keywords are still available which you have provided while submission. According to this link

-Malleswar

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:37 PM
  • thanks i can find that .. and i will pay more attention to the keyword relevance of app  
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:46 AM
  • but i cant find the app in bangladesh market .... only available at US market ??? :O
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:52 AM