App Development Methodologies/Paradigms For Various Windows CE Versions RRS feed

• Question

• This is a general question rather than a technical one I suppose, but is native C/C++ Sdk / WinApi style coding possible on all versions of Windows CE / Windows Embedded Compact?  I have a lot of experience writting code over a long period of time (since 2000 or so) for Windows CE, but only with a few specific custom devices.  I now find myself needing to write code for some new kind of device we haven't purchased yet, and I wouldn't want to find out that the device/OS only supports .NET or Silverlight development, for example.  Is there some link to this kind of information?  Or some general but applicable comment someone could make on it to enlighten me?  I'd appreciate it. 
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Frederick,

As far as I know, there are only Windows Embedded Compact 7.0 and Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3 support Silverlight. You can check this document: Silverlight for Windows Embedded. However, the .NET Compact Framework can work on Windows CE 7, 6, 5.

At last, Windows Embedded Compact combines the Microsoft Win32 application programming interface (API), user interface (UI), and graphics device interface (GDI) libraries into the Graphics, Windowing, and Events Subsystem (GWES) module. GWES is supported by Windows CE 7 and 6. Please check this:

Graphics, Windowing and Events (GWES)

I hope these information can help you to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, June 24, 2011 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Frederick,

As far as I know, there are only Windows Embedded Compact 7.0 and Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3 support Silverlight. You can check this document: Silverlight for Windows Embedded. However, the .NET Compact Framework can work on Windows CE 7, 6, 5.

At last, Windows Embedded Compact combines the Microsoft Win32 application programming interface (API), user interface (UI), and graphics device interface (GDI) libraries into the Graphics, Windowing, and Events Subsystem (GWES) module. GWES is supported by Windows CE 7 and 6. Please check this:

Graphics, Windowing and Events (GWES)

I hope these information can help you to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, June 24, 2011 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:13 AM
  • On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:09:44 +0000, Frederick J. Harris wrote:

This is a general question rather than a technical one I suppose, but is native C/C++ Sdk / WinApi style coding possible on all versions of Windows CE / Windows Embedded Compact?  I have a lot of experience writting code over a long period of time (since 2000 or so) for Windows CE, but only with a few specific custom devices.  I now find myself needing to write code for some new kind of device we haven't purchased yet, and I wouldn't want to find out that the device/OS only supports .NET or Silverlight development, for example.  Is there some link to this kind of information?  Or some general but applicable comment someone could make on it to enlighten me?  I'd appreciate it. 

I've used C/C++ (with my own framework) to write code for all of Microsoft's Windows CE
    platforms from HPC and Palm-size PC through Windows Mobile 6.5. Mostly the same source
    code, and often binary compatible.

Windows Phone 7 is a complete break. No native code, and UI must use Silverlight or XAML.

(I just "discovered" this forum, so my answers are delayed..)

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:56 PM