none
Can't find download of Windows CE 6.0 Remote Registry Editor RRS feed

• Question

• Dear fellow developers,

I've been searching for a download of the Windows CE 6.0 Remote Registry Editor in vain for hours now. I'd be very thankful if someone could provide me with a link.

Thanks a lot

Max

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Max,

If you are using Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 you need to add Visual Studio for Devices (Also known as Smart Device Support) and that should get you the built in tools.

As you are posting in the Windows Embedded Compact Platform Developer forum, if you are actually building a platform you will have these tools when you follow the steps for Platform Builder installation as well.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

NOTE: You can also attempt the RTF https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2089 but the other options I mention above are more common. 

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Hi Max,

I assume you mean this documentation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee479862%28v=winembedded.60%29.aspx

I don't know of any other alternative for development against Windows CE 6.0 other than Visual Studio for Devices.  Prior versions had eVT or Embedded Visual Tools but those are compatible with CE 5 not CE 6.  Both the driver model and memory model changed between 5 and 6 so even if you could get the older CE 5 tools to connect, the information might be wrong.

Please be aware that if you are not the OEM of the device, you may not be able to get the remote tools to work as they do require the OEM to include support for development and connectivity which they may not allow on secure devices.  Only the OEM of the device can answer whether that support is available in their device.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Max,

If you are using Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 you need to add Visual Studio for Devices (Also known as Smart Device Support) and that should get you the built in tools.

As you are posting in the Windows Embedded Compact Platform Developer forum, if you are actually building a platform you will have these tools when you follow the steps for Platform Builder installation as well.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

NOTE: You can also attempt the RTF https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2089 but the other options I mention above are more common. 

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

thanks for this information. I'll try the Visual Studio 2008 road.

I read about about a "Remote Tools (Windows CE 6.0)" package. Could that be an alternative to installing an old version of Visual Studio?

Best regards

Max

Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:37 AM
  • Hi Max,

I assume you mean this documentation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee479862%28v=winembedded.60%29.aspx

I don't know of any other alternative for development against Windows CE 6.0 other than Visual Studio for Devices.  Prior versions had eVT or Embedded Visual Tools but those are compatible with CE 5 not CE 6.  Both the driver model and memory model changed between 5 and 6 so even if you could get the older CE 5 tools to connect, the information might be wrong.

Please be aware that if you are not the OEM of the device, you may not be able to get the remote tools to work as they do require the OEM to include support for development and connectivity which they may not allow on secure devices.  Only the OEM of the device can answer whether that support is available in their device.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hello IoTGirl,

thanks for your help so far. I reanimated an old notebook of mine with Visual Studio 2008 on it. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw windows remote registry editor was already installed on it. Next hurdle: Connect to the target device. Unfortunately I do not have the target device handy but I'd like to prepare for the moment I can lay my hands on it. Selecting "Target / Connectivity Options" in the remote registry editor I can open the Windows CE Connectivity Manager Configuration. Here I can find a root item named "Windows CE" with a child item named "Windows CE Device". When I select this child item and click on "Properties" I can select "Transport" to be  "TCP Connect Transport" and Startup Server to be "ActiveSync Startup Provider". I'm a bit stumped because I cannot imagine how this will actually make the connection to the CE device without knowing an IP address. Googling around again I find information on how to use "Platform Manager" to configure a connection to a target device. Unfortunately I cannot find "platform manager" anywhere...

Do I need "Platform Manager" or can I connect without it? If I need "Platform Manager", where can I find it? If I don't need platform manager, how can I connect the windows CE device? It does have an RJ45 network socket and is able to communicate via TCP/IP.

Thanks you so much for your help so far.

Best regards

Max

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Hi Max,

Platman is older than your device and not useful to you.  Visual Studio for Devices uses corecon but I don't recommend you mess with it but rather let the tools configure themselves.

When you install the SDK for the device you wish to target, it should provide the corecon settings you need.  The OEM should have an SDK available for you or if it is Windows Mobile 5 to 6.5 based you should also be able to download an SDK for that as well. 

To prepare, find the SDK for your device and install it and follow any instructions that come with that SDK.  NOTE: If you have ActiveSync also installed it also configures connectivity for you.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hello IoTGirl,

I'll contact the manufacturer to get the SDK.

Thanks a lot so far.

Max

Friday, February 10, 2017 12:39 PM
  • You are very welcome Max!  Please work with the OEM for support as only they can provide you with information regarding what is supported on their device.
    Friday, February 10, 2017 5:39 PM