none
Custom data connectors RRS feed

• Question

• Can we create custom data connectors for Excel?

I have seen that Power BI allows to create custom data connectors and I'm wondering if Excel supports that as well or something similar.

We have a data source which Excel does not support to connect. It is a Web API with Bearer token authentication. We want to bring native Excel experience to our users for data refresh etc. 

I have already explored VBA custom coding solutions but that is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi KamalpreetSingh,

The Power BI embedded in Excel does not support custom data connectors, and custom data connectors

are currently only supported in Power BI desktop. Please see the link below:

Starting to Develop Custom Connectors

Best Regards,

Bruce

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:18 AM
  • Using Power Query in Excel, we were able to use native refresh functionality.

Is there a way to prompt for credentials and URL from user when we use Power Query?

If we can do this, we do not need to use custom data connector.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:15 PM
  • Hi KamalpreetSingh,

You could refer to the following link:

Data source settings (Power Query)

Best Regards,

Bruce

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:26 AM
  • This is great. Do you know if there's any chance we can access these credentials from Power Query's Advanced editor (for Basic Authentication)?

Thanks!

Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:05 PM