none
.NET 3.0 silent install haning to check for updates RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a commandline parameter I can use when installing .NET 3 to disable checking for updates.  My commandline silent install had been working fine, but lately it has been hanging and showing a systray icon asking my users whether they would like to check for updates.

Thanks!
    Friday, February 8, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi

As far as I know, there is no such a switch to turn off the updates which is a part of the product service as well.

Backgroud:

In the product life cycle, once we’ve released .NET Framework, inevitably it will be shipped with bugs.

Then, they are fixed and released to those customers who found the issue as a release type called a hotfix.  Occasionally, hotfix(es) are considered security issues and are rolled out as a Security update and shipped to the world to solve a security issue.

Here is the support lifecycle of .NET Framework 3.0: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=12292

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Monday, February 11, 2008 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi

As far as I know, there is no such a switch to turn off the updates which is a part of the product service as well.

Backgroud:

In the product life cycle, once we’ve released .NET Framework, inevitably it will be shipped with bugs.

Then, they are fixed and released to those customers who found the issue as a release type called a hotfix.  Occasionally, hotfix(es) are considered security issues and are rolled out as a Security update and shipped to the world to solve a security issue.

Here is the support lifecycle of .NET Framework 3.0: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=12292

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Monday, February 11, 2008 7:03 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't help my situation.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 7:14 PM
  • I've begun to receive a number of support calls from users that think our prerequisite install of .NET 3 is timing out.  I'm able to solve all of them by instructing the users to acknowledge the balloon tip about updating. 

I've had users let the .NET 3 install run overnight and then finally call; the balloon tip about updating should NOT pause the entire world.  Is there anything that can be done so that this balloon tip nuiscance will go away?

Thanks
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:15 PM