The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Correctly Configure/Setup Desktop as a Service (DaaS) for Running Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2016, and Visio 2016 Desktop Applications in Azure VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am using this forum to correctly obtain and document for all.  I have a customer use case requirement to fully understand how the Desktop as a Service (DaaS) functionality is now supported, with the September 2017 modifications to the Windows 10 Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) noted at "Windows virtualization use rights coming to CSP".  I need to obtain the knowledge to correctly configure within Azure, the Windows 10 desktop such that full license compliance is obtained to run Windows 10 Pro, 1709 and newer, Microsoft Office 2016 (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) for the desktop, and Visio 2016 for the desktop.  In other words, a user logs into Azure.  The Windows 10 desktop is off.  After enabling the Windows 10 desktop, the user can now successfully run any Office 2016 desktop application and/or Visio 2016.  The application execution occurs on the Windows 10 desktop inside the Azure account.  Plus, if the user desires, a file from the user device (e.g. a Windows 8.1 Pro computer) can be uploaded and opened within the Windows 10 instance running in Azure.

The information contained on, "DaaS in Azure," - 2014 is too old and no longer part of Azure features.     The information contained on, "Azure desktop hosting - Reference architecture and deployment guides," - 2016 is also out dated and no longer relevant.  Please do not refer to either of these.  Been there done that.

I also seek clarification on whether an Azure virtual machine indeed supports any/all desktop software execution.  Obviously, the licensing for said software has to be satisfied.  It is assumed the installation of the software happens like it does with a computer system at your office desk or home (e.g. run the respective .msi and enter the license key).

Thank you for your time and attention.

Friday, May 25, 2018 5:32 PM

All replies

• Refer: How to deploy Windows 10 on Azure with Multitenant Hosting Rights. Hope it will helps to answer all your queries with updated information related to Azure Desktop hosting and their licensing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

• Proposed as answer by Ajay Kadam Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:17 AM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:17 AM
  • Sorry, but the referenced page does not resolve the problem at all.  As an example how it does not, through my Visual Studio Enterprise subscription, I have an Azure account.  Through the Azure account, I observe the three separate Windows 10 virtual machine creation actions via, "Create a resource."  I attempt to create any one of the Windows 10 virtual machines, I receive an Azure message that says how the directory does not have a subscription.  When I then navigate to create a subscription, I then receive the message in a new browser tab that says, "'Your account belongs to a directory that cannot be associated with an Azure subscription. Please sign in with a different account."  I have now created an Azure support request on the sudden inability to create a subscription. 

Regardless of the new outcome with my original Desktop as a Service question, a potential better page is: Quickstart: Create a Windows virtual machine in the Azure portal (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/quick-create-portal).  The Quickstart page does not address the aspect of installing any/all desktop applications on the Windows 10 virtual machine.  It only demonstrates enabling the Windows 10 virtual machine within an Azure account.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:40 PM
  • Could you provide the SR number so that we can internally track your issue.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:21 AM
  • The submission request number is: 118052918278408
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:16 PM
  • Here is what I know from two different Microsoft technical support groups (e.g. Azure and Visual Studio Enterprise, formerly MSDN).  Neither one of them resolve the problem.  The current primary is the onmicrosoft.com system.  I presume this means Azure.  Regardless, no one has any information on how to correctly configure and/or delete my Azure accounts.  Consequently, I cannot test creating the Windows 10 Desktop Virtual Machine from a freshly created Azure account, that hopefully has all of the correct permissions.  The Azure status verbiage indicates that my Azure account is not correctly configured.  It is now six weeks, five days (e.g. 47 days), since the first post asking for a solution.  The clock continues to count the days.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:09 PM
  • I am updating what I know for others' benefit.  Essentially, I work with a coworker on the company provided Visual Studio Enterprise, formerly called MSDN.  My coworker's Azure benefit is active as of today.  Two major things that can cause huge confusion.  If you navigate the mouse over the blue letter I (e.g. sounds like the word eye), inside the Azure benefit box, it will open a separate browser tab that immediately opens an Azure area.  However, this particular view is a teaser.  The Azure benefit is not officially active.  After seeing many detail screens resulting with, "No access" messages, the Visual Studio Enterprise account main page is open again.  Then, click the, "Activate," hyper-link inside the Azure benefit box.  Now, the real Azure benefit will eventually become active in a more official way.  Plus, the Visual Studio Enterprise | Azure benefit is fully aware of the $150 per month credit.  There are three or more message boxes appearing acknowledging how the Azure benefit account has not used the credit, is an administrator, access any screen, etc.  The, "No access," message results are all gone.  Consequently, my coworker's Azure benefit activation works properly.  Plus, the permission to create a Windows 10 Desktop Virtual Machine works without the messages in my original post.

Therefore, I will be creating new issues with both Azure technical support and Visual Studio Enterprise technical support.  Both issues will clearly state how my current Azure benefit configuration is completely wrong.  The two, "free," accounts will be deleted.  This has not been free in any way whatsoever.  Then and only then will I be able to have a chance creating Windows 10 Desktop Virtual Machine(s).  I expect I will finally have a real Azure configuration and correct Azure permissions, including Administrative rights.

Take Notice: later on when the Azure benefit is active, the only way to reach the Azure account is through: portal.azure.com.  If you click the Activate hyper-link on the Visual Studio Benefit page, after the Azure account is already activated, you will then have a web page that is NOT the Azure account main page.  Please remember that the Azure portal URL above is the location to reach the now active Azure account.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:14 PM
  • The new Azure case number is: 118071118563021
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:09 PM
  • The Visual Studio Enterprise (formerly MSDN) case number is: SR1807110010000520
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:25 PM