none
Access split database in "unstable" condition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an Access database that is already split into front-end and back-end and when I tried to open the front-end database today it stated that the database was in an "unstable" state and that it needed to be repaired.  I then repaired it and then opened the front end of the database again and it was opened up the back-end of the database.  Then when I went to open up the back-up of the front-end of the database and got a message along the lines of "last time you opened this database, there were serious problems."  This is a fairly large database that is stored on a password protected shared network that multiple people access at once.  If you have any suggestions as to how I can solve this issue it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:19 PM

All replies

• This is a fairly large database that is stored on a password protected shared network that multiple people access at once.  If you have any suggestions as to how I can solve this issue it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi. I hope you don't mean that all users use the same exact file rather than use a "copy" of it on their local machine, right? If not, then that could be the cause of your problem. You should give each user their own copy of the FE for their own use to avoid possible corruption of the FE file. Also, you should keep a "master" copy of the FE that no one uses, so you can just replace their copy if something else goes wrong. Just my 2 cents...

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Hi, I have an Access database that is already split into front-end and back-end and when I tried to open the front-end database today it stated that the database was in an "unstable" state and that it needed to be repaired.  I then repaired it and then opened the front end of the database again and it was opened up the back-end of the database.  Then when I went to open up the back-up of the front-end of the database and got a message along the lines of "last time you opened this database, there were serious problems."  This is a fairly large database that is stored on a password protected shared network that multiple people access at once.  If you have any suggestions as to how I can solve this issue it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just adding my two cents here, so you will now have four cents in the pot...

First, your post is a little difficult to follow.  It would be in your best interest to ensure that what you post is properly written and understandable for the folks you are seeking assistance from.

1. "... I have an Access database that is ... split into front-end and back-end ..."
          Ok.  What Access version are you working with?
    2. "... I tried to open the front-end ... it stated that the database was in an "unstable" state and that it needed to be repaired."
          Ok.
    3. "I then repaired it and opened the front end ... again ..."
          Ok.  What was the result of opening the repaired application?
    4. "... and it was opened up the back-end of the database."
        Say what???
    5. "Then ... I went to open up the back-up of the front-end."
          Are we talking about the repaired version or the one before it?
    6. "...got a message ... "last time you opened this database, there were serious problems.""
        See questions for steps 3, 4 , and 5.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:50 PM