windows defender update not installing

Question

• code 80070666 error while installing defender updates 

its kb 226702

can someone help

thanks

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:02 AM

Answers

• If the response from Steven has not helped with the Windows Defender update, you can try to see if resetting the Windows Update Components will help.

Error code 800700666 with the message "Windows Update encountered an unknown error" and the status is Failed.

However, the article was written for other operating systems, so do not use the Automatic Fixit in the article.

Article ID: 971058 - How do I reset Windows Update components?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Article ID: 918355 - How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918355

Please let us know if these suggestions help.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:30 PM

All replies

• Hey there,

Can you help clarify? Did this work before? How are you connecting to the Internet? Is it through a router or Wifi? If through Wifi, can you connect via Ethernet? Is the installation from a clean installation booting from DVD? Is the Windows Defender update the only update being blocked?

You can try the Action Center Windows Update troubleshooter to see if it helps. It is still available.

Regards,

Bobby

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:00 PM
    Answerer
  • navendugoyal,

Try these steps in this link below and let us know the result.

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:11 PM
    Answerer
  • code 80070666 error while installing defender updates 

its kb 226702

can someone help

thanks

I have the same proplem please any help here!
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Hey everyone,

Let's check to see if the built in troubleshooters can resolve this problem or give us more information about its cause. You can access the built in troubleshooters by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Troubleshooting
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Under Network and Internet, click Connect to the Internet
    • Follow the instructions provided in the Internet Connections window
    • Once it has finished, note the results you receive
    • Back in the Troubleshooting window, under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update
    • Follow the instructions provided in the Windows Update window
    • Once it has finished, note the results you receive

Then let us know the results you received and if Windows Defender can now install definition updates.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 12:02 AM
  • I have the same problems as the other posters, and the troubleshooters could not find any problems. I did run a system restore (which claimed to fail on one screen but another showed success) earlier today before I noticed the out of date virus definitions and tried to update them through Defender and through Windows Update. But since others are having the same problem, my other details may be only coincidental.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:09 PM
  • If the response from Steven has not helped with the Windows Defender update, you can try to see if resetting the Windows Update Components will help.

Error code 800700666 with the message "Windows Update encountered an unknown error" and the status is Failed.

However, the article was written for other operating systems, so do not use the Automatic Fixit in the article.

Article ID: 971058 - How do I reset Windows Update components?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Article ID: 918355 - How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918355

Please let us know if these suggestions help.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:30 PM