none
Word 2010 File Names from SharePoint 3.0 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Up to last week, I had been using an XP computer with Windows 2007 and SharePoint 2007. I have several VBA macros that perform various search tasks on documents in a SharePoint folder or documents checked out and temporarily saved in my local SharePoint Drafts folder. My custom was to either grab the full path and file name from Document Properties and put it in a GetObject statement, or use a loop to cycle through a folder directory. Whether a document was checked out or not from SharePoint, I could always use one of our server paths to get the document.

    When I (finally!) got updated to a Windows 7 machine with Word 2010 (I think SharePoint 3.0 is newer than 2007, but not exactly sure), I discovered that the Word file names for SharePoint documents are now URLs with "http://" in front of them, and my macros don't like that format of the file path and name. Do I need to SharePoint VBA to my resources to make this happen? Previously, I didn't need to; they ran straight from Word's VBA interface.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Scott

    Monday, April 14, 2014 6:53 PM

Answers

  • Thank you. I was able to determine the server path (which evidently changed when we all got upgraded) by opening the SharePoint folder in Explorer, and I should be able to access documents directly from SharePoint that way. Our folder structure is a bit convoluted, so when I open some of the documents to my SharePoint Drafts folder instead of the cloud, the path/file names are too long and thus truncated, then SharePoint doesn't recognize them as Word documents any more. That will have to be an internal fix. :-) Generally, I'm not modifying the documents when I do this, just looking for inconsistencies or patterns across a series of documents.

    Scott


    Writer

    Friday, August 1, 2014 12:27 PM

All replies

  • Hello Scott,

    It looks like you need to correct your VBA macro code according to the SharePoint version you have installed. Also I'd suggest asking SharePoint specialists about changes, if any. It seems the issue is not related to Word.

    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Thank you. I was able to determine the server path (which evidently changed when we all got upgraded) by opening the SharePoint folder in Explorer, and I should be able to access documents directly from SharePoint that way. Our folder structure is a bit convoluted, so when I open some of the documents to my SharePoint Drafts folder instead of the cloud, the path/file names are too long and thus truncated, then SharePoint doesn't recognize them as Word documents any more. That will have to be an internal fix. :-) Generally, I'm not modifying the documents when I do this, just looking for inconsistencies or patterns across a series of documents.

    Scott


    Writer

    Friday, August 1, 2014 12:27 PM