none
MS OneNote opens Access database. Is it really possible? And now its Acrobat Reader! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This is odd (?) but could explain some data loses we have had in the brewery.

We run a FE/BE solution with one desktop FE connected by cable to the BE and several terminals running based on windows terminal server running the same BE/FE.

There have been some occasions when users swear they have updated data, but the data isn't there next day. I have added "save buttons", added event procedures like AfterUpdate "Me.Dirty = False" But still there have been missing data. First you doubt yourself, then you realize that something must be wrong.

Yesterday two of the brewers came to me and said:
    "Some times when we open the database a blue icon is shown in Windows taskbar, an icon with a "N". Our experience tells us that on such occasions the data we enter into the database will not be saved. So we shut down the database and reopen it. Then there is, a red icon with an "A" in the Windows taskbar and everything will work out. "
    I thought - it's not possible - but when I have tested a few times will I give them right!

As you can see on the attached pictures is the Access database open and in the Windows taskbar, the icon for Microsoft OneNote!

How can that happen?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm and Sigtuna GMT +1.00

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:02 AM

Answers

• This problem is not specific to Access. You should google for "taskbar icon showing wrong app" or similar.

A possible solution is to rebuild the Icon Cache:

1. Stop Explorer (use the Task Manager to do this)
    2. Open the command prompt> type cmd in the Start Search box> right click the cmd.exe in the list > click "run as Administrator"
    3. Go to: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
    4. Use this command to unhide the IconCache.db> attrib -h IconCache.db
    5. Delete the IconCache.db file:> del IconCache.db
    6. Start Explorer (or restart your computer).

Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:11 AM

All replies

• And yes the database is set to be opened with MS Access. See pic below:

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Hi ForssPeterNova,

you had mentioned that sometimes MS Access Opens in the OneNote.

it's strange. it should not open with OneNote.

Yes, in the code it is possible to open Access database in other Office Applications. but this process run in background.

and only if user do some code related to it.

by default there is no any kind of feature or functionality which produce the above mentioned behavior.

do you use OneNote in your daily work? if not did you check by uninstalling it what's the results?

I know that it is not a desired solution. also I suggest you to Repair the windows and Reinstall the MsOffice.

I think that there is something wrong with MS Office Suite. so when you try to open the Access it displays the OneNote in the status bar but Database get opened in the Access Application and data not get saved when you update it.

Also possible that it is affected by the Virus. Try to scan the system.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:25 AM
  • Hi Deepak

Thank you for the answer.

We do not use OneNote.

I will send your text to our server- and network guys and ask them to do what you just suggested.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:59 PM
  • This is not a virus. It's caused by a reference to an icon in another application (OneNote in this case). This sometimes happens and can be easily fixed by re-registering the correct association in Control Panel->Default Programs.

Best regards, George

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Hi George

See pic for association:

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Hi Deepak

My IT guys performed a virus scan on the server. Nothing found.

OneNote is uninstalled. And Guess what! Now Access sometimes opens showing its Outlook open it...

If I close it and reopen. Its Access, only, again.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Hi ForssPeterNova,

I think its a very rare issue and I didn't heard about this kind of issue before.

As it is not the issue related with code. I am not sure what is the actual issue there with MS Access Application.

Does it happen with any other Office Application? like If we open word and it open with excel.

also I want to know it's the issue with only one machine or on more then one machine you find this behavior?

did you install any Office or Windows Update recently?

if not and if it is the issue with one machine and if you can allowed to format then I suggest you to format the machine and try to install a fresh copy of MS Office to find the issue still occur there or not. because I understand that sometimes server is not available to perform this kind of tasks.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 26, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Hi Deepak

You asked:
    Does it happen with any other Office Application? like If we open word and it open with excel.

I tried Publisher, Powerpoint, Word and Excel trying to repoduce the issue. But it didnt happend to me. But I found in Recent Files that this also is connected to Excel in some way, as shown by pic below:

You asked:
    "also I want to know it's the issue with only one machine or on more then one machine you find this behavior?"

I tried to open Access on one and each of our four terminals. Above you have seen the issue on Terminal1.
    I found the same issue on Terminal2 and Terminal3. But NOT on Terminal4! (All Terminal running on the same server)

Pic below shows Terminal2:

Pic below shows Terminal3:

As we can see on the list Recent Terminal2 and Terminal3 has opened different files. Terminal2 and 3 have differens users.

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:07 AM
  • Hi

The IT guys will shut down the servers this weekend and will reinstall MS Office

I will come back on Monday with new and hopefully good news.

Thanks all for helping!

Friday, August 26, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Hi

Sorry but there was not enough time to reinstall MS Office during the passed weekend. Newt try will be on Friday.

Stay tuned :-)

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Ok

During Friday afternoon IT-guys came to us and made new install of MS Office. We decided to upgrade from 2010 to 2016.

Guess what. Now Acrobat Reader opens Access.

What shall we do??

Saturday, September 3, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Have you looked in Task Manager to see which program is actually running?
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:22 AM
  • Here is the programs running

Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:01 AM
  • This problem is not specific to Access. You should google for "taskbar icon showing wrong app" or similar.

A possible solution is to rebuild the Icon Cache:

1. Stop Explorer (use the Task Manager to do this)
    2. Open the command prompt> type cmd in the Start Search box> right click the cmd.exe in the list > click "run as Administrator"
    3. Go to: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
    4. Use this command to unhide the IconCache.db> attrib -h IconCache.db
    5. Delete the IconCache.db file:> del IconCache.db
    6. Start Explorer (or restart your computer).

Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:11 AM
  • I think that confirms what Matthias posted. Your Access app is actually opening in Access, not Acrobat Reader, but the taskbar icon is wrong.
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:18 AM
  • I'll ask my IT guys to do as Matthias wrote.

Thanks!

Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:24 AM
  • A long shot, but I just thought of one more thing to check. Look at the path environment variable. Make sure it is not longer than 2047 characters. Longer, can wreak havoc. That is what always corrupts my icon cache whenever certain programs are installed or updated. I then need to manually fix the path and rebuild the icon cache.
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Thanks Matthias

Sunday, September 4, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Hi ForssPeterNova,

is your issue solved or you are still facing the problem?

Regards

Deepak

Monday, September 12, 2016 9:33 AM
  • That icon issue might be a bad registry key. I would run the Office Repair and double-check your shortcut properties.

About the unsaved data...This plagued me in the past. It turned out that some users had copied the database to their local drive and the data was going into that back end instead of the BE on the server. I know it sounds strange but it can happen.

Your application looks like a third-party database. I'd contact their support and make them fix it. If they don't support their product it might be time to find another developer.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:51 PM
  • Hi Deepak

Sorry to say. But no. Not yet.

IT guys is to busy right now and I dont like to do it myself.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Hi Bill

Thanks for helping.

The application is not third party. Its inhouse.

I will give your advice about bad registry key to my IT guys.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Hi ForssPeterNova,

I will try to report this issue to Access User Voice Team internally and try to submit the feedback given by you regarding this issue.

if they have any solution regarding this issue I will provide you.

Regards

Deepak

Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Deepak

Friday, September 16, 2016 5:58 AM
  • FPN, interesting post - never seen the wrong icon before.  But in regard to lost data:  This can only be caused if the key field value isn't going into the form/table.  Where the key field is an autonumber this almost is never an issue.  However if you have custom key fields - then one must check as to what is the trigger that enters that value....and then how is it that users manage to circumvent that trigger.

For your own discovery you might look in some tables for orphan records - those without a key value...that would be a very obvious pointer because in this case the record is being written but not associated to anything... you will be able to see which fields are populated in these orphans and that should help you understand what data the users are entering before closing the form.

Friday, September 16, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Matthias!

Your advice helped us. Thank you very much.

Monday, October 31, 2016 6:30 PM