API time out when trying to send serialized data if data is more in number

Question

• I am working on an API that is connected for a store. Now there are bunch of Items and user base and I have different serializable classes that represent this data.

Issue that I am facing is when I am making a GET call and record count is greater than 5K it take forever time to serializable and hence the GET call is timed out. I have worked out a way around this issue by divide the data in chuck of records if its greater in number but I want to solve this issue. Is there any way that my API can respond to GET request and send all the data in one go.

I have created API in c#.

Ankit Verma

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:41 AM

Answers

• It depends on your design and how you are working with the data.

If you present users with categories, get the categories from the server, and show them.  As the user goes through the categories, get just that data for that category, or

If the user scrolls through items, get the first 100 items, and as they near the scroll bottom, go get 100 more. or

Ship the product with a pre-downloaded copy of your data.  Periodically in your app have the system download updates, or start a background download process to replace the entire product database.

Or, some hybrid combination...

Darin R.

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Ankit,

I think this thread is specific to store app  forum. So I am helping you to move this thread directly into that forum. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 21, 2014 5:33 AM
  • It depends on your design and how you are working with the data.

If you present users with categories, get the categories from the server, and show them.  As the user goes through the categories, get just that data for that category, or

If the user scrolls through items, get the first 100 items, and as they near the scroll bottom, go get 100 more. or

Ship the product with a pre-downloaded copy of your data.  Periodically in your app have the system download updates, or start a background download process to replace the entire product database.

Or, some hybrid combination...

Darin R.

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:38 PM