What's WPF and what banifit from it. RRS feed

• Question

• I am new for WPF.

could any body tell me what difference between WPF application and  'Normal' windowApplication.

and what benifit can WPF give us..

thanks..

Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:50 AM

All replies

• Hey there!

If I understand your question, you were asking about difference between an Application using Windows Forms and one using WPF. Here are the most important new features in Windows Presentation Foundation:

• appearence and functionality kept apart
      In WPF, the look of your windows and elements is not created in code, it's defined in a seperate markup file that uses XAML (extensible application markup language), a syntax similar to HTML (it's easy to learn, trust me). That way, you can have a designer create the user interface in a program like Expression Blend, export it to xaml and import it directly into Visual Studio. This saves you from having to refactor the thing in code, which is always a compromise.
    • layout
      Unlike Windows Forms, WPF does not encourage coordinate-based layout, but suggests to use either proportional sizing or automatic sizing based on the amount of content a control has. This offers three key advantages:
      a) there's no need to write code for resizing content when the window size changes.
      b) you can easily localize your application for other languages without disrupting its layout.
      c) if you ever add some content to your application, that won't force you to re-code the whole visual appearance.
    • lookless controls
      Implementing a custom control was necessary in Windows Forms if you wanted your application to have a sleek, unique design. Unfortunatly, this required you to build not only the look, but also the functionality from scratch. WPF has two powerful features that eradicate a lot of useless work:
      styles make it easy to customize a whole bunch of controls at once, while the much more powerful
      control templates allow you to completely and radically replace the visual appearance of any element. For instance, you could have a round button that grows when the mouse hovers over it, and so on...
      You could even incorporate an animated 3D-Scene into your control, which leads me to
    • support for transforms, animations and 3D
      Spinning buttons, text sliding into view, or a textBox on a three-dimensional cube that you can still enter text into? In Windows Forms, you could describe all this with only one word: impossible. Now, it's even easy - if you have the right tools (like ZAM3D and, as I already mentioned, Expression Blend). Transforms are a powerful tool that allows you to skew, rotate and enlarge controls (and do a whole lot more).
    • rich data-binding and flow document features
      if your only goal is to develop an intuitive business application, you'll have looked at the above and said "so what?" OK, here comes the good news: it's easier than ever to pull large amounts of data or content into your program and display it in an ajustable way, e.g. the user can choose between paged or scrollable content, select the number of coloumns, zoom in on text etc...
    • easy integration into the web
      WPF Browser Applications (.xbap) provide almost all features of stand-alone windows, but users don't need to install them on their machine!

I hope to have given all beginners a nice little intro.

Greetings,

greenboi

• Proposed as answer by mariocatch Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:25 PM
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:36 PM
  • thanks all

that's very info I want to know about.

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:11 AM
  • hey buddy

there is a wide difference betwn normal ap and wpf app.

1.. wpf provides extended and uniqure features in compare of wpf

2. it provides vector based graphics which makes it different form window apps.

3. we can play video in a single btn ,list box and textbox,

4.in wpf we can create wpf  apps. as well  as browser application,

i hope answer helped u..

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:09 PM