Connectivity Problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,
    I have installed SQL Server 2005 as default instance and SQL Server 2008 (CTP February) as named instance.
    The first one works properly but I'm unable to connect to KATMAI from its SSMS 2008. Actually the object explorer works properly but when I open a new query windows, no matter what TSQL Command I type, the execution is blocked. I tried to only parse the command but didn't work either.
    Interestingly both OSQL and SQLCMD can connect and submit commands to this instance.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Leila
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm uncertain what you mean that the execution is blocked? Do you mean that the query no matter how simple it is,
    just spins forever?

Believe it or not, but this is an issue with SQL Server Compact Edition. Katmai installs Compact Edition
    3.5 SP1 Beta, but if you remove it, SSMS 2008 stops working.(I have no idea why). You probably did not
    uninstall Compact, but maybe you already had Compact Edition installed, so something did not work out
    well with the setup. I think Compact Edition is available for download from www.microsoft.com.

PS Have you seen that SQL 2008 comes with Farsi collations (called Persian)?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:46 PM
  •  

Thanks for your reply Erland!
    I mean even if you type something (e.g your name!) and press F5, SSMS gets stock in "Parsing" phase and spins for ever (the status bar displays "Executing query...")
    Although I removed SQL Server CE 3.5 but SSMS 2008 opened successfully.
    I downloaded SQL Server CE 3.5 and re-installed, but my problem still exists :-(
    I have seen the new collation but haven't been able to run my tests because of my problem.
    I look forward to your help!
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I've done some better research (I hope!). I found this in another thread:

After uninstalling "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta Management tools ENU" first and install the "sscesqlwbtools.msi" in the "servers/setup" folder of the 2008 install files, the queries execute normal again.

Also, see https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=319220

Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Thanks indeed Erland! It is working now :-)

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:01 PM