WCF Ria Services and WCF Data Services RRS feed

• Question

•  Perhaps, it will be  reflected in the new RIAServicesOverviewPreview.pdf but just wondering whether WCF RIA Services based on WCF Data Services ( formerly ADO.Net Data Services )  which was mentioned as a general direction  in July ?  

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• Yes and no. WCF RIA Services is WCF based, not ADO.NET Data Services based. However, WCF RIA Services does support the odata protocol (previously known as the Astoria protocol) so there is interaction. I have seen on Twitter that there have been some examples shown at PDC but I haven't seen any public examples posted up yet.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:39 PM

All replies

• Yes and no. WCF RIA Services is WCF based, not ADO.NET Data Services based. However, WCF RIA Services does support the odata protocol (previously known as the Astoria protocol) so there is interaction. I have seen on Twitter that there have been some examples shown at PDC but I haven't seen any public examples posted up yet.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:39 PM
  • WCF RIA Services is not 'based on' WCF Data Services, it is alligned directly on top of WCF.

By RTW next year, RIA Services will support the Open Data (Astoria) protocol, but it does not do that today in PDC bits.

The blog post here has soem more data on the WCF, WCF RIA Services, WCF Data Services alignment.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. Some of the tweets coming out of PDC made it sound like there was an OData example being shown in the big room, I assume they were just confused. I am not exactly sure how "based on WCF Data Services" is different from "aligned directly on top of WCF, the word "Aligned" doesn't mean much to me as a programming term.

Edit: I am a huge stickler for correct terminology, I am not disagreeing with your terminology, I just need to understand it so that I can use it.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:51 PM